+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How about suggestions for the smallest lightweight canoe....for a 76 year old

Default How about suggestions for the smallest lightweight canoe....for a 76 year old

I would like to get ideas on the lightest easy to load and unload and carry to water canoe. Not an inflatable......

I have 3 local ponds with bass and or trout....but no boat access.....

I got a 13.5" Old Town canoe. Not fished it yet. But it weighs almost 80 pounds. Despite videos of how to load it I have great difficulty with it.

jim

Hi Jim, I purposely look for small lakes with no boat access, for privacy, and the adventure of the unknown. I've been using a Pelican kayak that I purchased at Costco for about $350. It only weighs about 30lbs so I can put it on my shoulder and pack it in, or if the ground is to rough I throw all my gear inside and just drag it like a sled by the bow toggle handle. It works great!

Thanks CaptnScptty. I too learned to fly fish for bluegill at approx age 10 and life took me away from it till in my late 60's.
    tks for the post

Look at the Fish Cat LCS 4 float tube, I have had one for several years, you need waders and fins but very portable stable, the only down side if a thunderstorm comes up the fastest you can go is really slow.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

thanks UJ....I have a toon. It has a trollibng motor....it is a very old ODC 8'. I have a Bottom Line Fishing Buddy 4200 and the fins and Simms chest waders. It is quite a ceremony to use it. Loading all the gear...transporting to a pond...unloading...rigging it...getting dressed...flippers....battery....etc. And I don't think I can cover an 85 and or 93 acre pond very well with it.

Was looking for something more simple, lightweight...that I could cover more territory with. Not sure I could do a kayak with my body ailments. So pondering a canoe....

I see two people canoeing....of course they are very experienced.....but they fishing...relaxing....never having a tipping issue. The guy in back at times sort of lays down and controls his trolling motor while she at the front fishes. They fish all day and afternoon with me in my 8' Pond Hopper.

Anywhoooo......I see all kinds of stuff out there. Wondering what would work for ME.....

jim

I've used a 12' Raddison transom canoe for the last 20 years. Ultra light (under 50 lbs) and absolutely ideal for what I do. I've attached some information below, you'll have to scroll down to the bottom to see what I have. Mine is solid green in color, have used a small electric trolling motor which scoots it right along. Now, for absolute certain, you'll have to cast setting down, or make sure your up on your swimming skills. Hey, considering it all, I've become pretty proficient as a set-down fly caster!

https://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/radisson.php

Another thing to look at is a canoe carrier. The one I have I got from Cabela's and is no longer listed.
    Wheels are 14 inches in diameter and it rolls easily. Google canoe carrier and you can find some.

Rick

I use an Adirondack-style pack canoe. Kevlar hull, 12’ long, and weighs 18 lbs. Paddles with a double end kayak paddle. There are several manufacturers but mine is a Northstar.

+ Reply to Thread