+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegill fly suggstions requested.....please

Other than a local pond that the Commonwealth of Kentucky stocks with put-and-take trout, all of my fishing is for bluegills (fairly obvious from my forum moniker). I highly suggest finding a copy of "Bluegills - Fly Fishing & Flies" by Terry & Roxanne Wilson. Lots of great patterns, such as the Bully's Spider mentioned above, along with the humorous story on how it got its name. A wealth of information on Bluegill fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Now that cooler weather has arrived, I've been fishing a bit deeper for the Bluegill. I tied up a number of this pattern that works well for me. I tie it on 1/124oz jig heads with a bit of rabbit fur for the tail and metallic Embroidery yarn for the body. I add eyes for "realism" and give the body and heat a good coat of UV epoxy. The jig hook causes the fly to ride hook point up, which is helpful when I fish in brush or over weed beds. It is nearly indestructible and have a nice slow sink rate and very erratic jigging action.
    Jig Flies.JPG

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 11-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.

I really like the fly, James, and I bet it would work under the ice, too. What size are the eyes, are they stick-on, and who sells them?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I recommend you try the Panfish Wiggler. You can find it on a site called Panfish on the Fly. I had tied and fished some poppers the other day with little luck. I then tied on the Panfish Wiggler I tied and BAM on the first try. Several others followed without hesitation. Give it a try.
    God Bless America

Lastchance,

For these little jigs, I use either 1/8" or 5/32" eyes. These eyes are self-sticking, but it's only good for positioning them on the jig head. They will need a coat of epoxy. If you have not invested in the UV Epoxy yet with the UV flashlight, I strongly encourage to try it. It make life so much easier to have the epoxy dri in 5 seconds with the UV light. I buy the eyes from Janns Netcraft as they are about as cheap as I can find them. Here's a link to the eyes at netcraft https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/molded-3d-lure-eyes/309030.aspx

I get the jig heads from a number of places. If you can only find the round head jigs in the 1/124 oz size, just take a pair of flat needle nose pliers and flatten the head to make a nice flat surface for the eyes to stick to. You will find the metallic Embroidery yarn at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns Fabrics etc. Great stuff with lots of uses.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all.

Jim

Jim,

Have you ever tried using a mono weedguard on the small jigs. I have a couple of packs of hooks on my desk in 1/80 oz. I think, of course if I don't get on the water they will rust where they are.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,

It's good to hear from you. The only time I've used mono weed guards is on some streamers and heavily weighted flies. These little jig heads seem to do fine without them. I hope that you are doing well, and that you get some time on the water during some of our warmer winter days and into the spring season.

Take care and the offer stands...

Jim

Thanks so much James. Those are cool and I need tie some.
    The Best

I just caught largest Blue Gill ever on a size 12 Panfish Wiggler. Simple to tie, but very buggy in the water. I found that they hit it on and just under the surface. Give it a try. Sorry no picture.
    God Bless America

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Hi John;
    Does your Panfish Wigglers have bead chain eyes ?

+ Reply to Thread