+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted to Buy: 8'6" or 9' 3 wt fly rod

Hybrid View

Default Wanted to Buy: 8'6" or 9' 3 wt fly rod

I broke my favorite "all around" rod for fishing small to medium size streams here in the dirftless area and am looking for a replacement. I'd like to get an 8'6" or 9' 3 wt graphite rod with med-fast to fast action. I am not interested in a 8' or shorter rod or in a long 10' nymphing rod. Looking to spend $300 or less. If you've got something that might be interest, I'd be happy to hear from you.

John -

I hope someone has something that you would like and can make a reasonable deal for a used rod.

But if nothing works out for a used rod, I suggest looking at a TFO BVK 8'6" for 4 wt rod, currently retailing for $250. It is a fairly fast rod to start with, and if you underline it with a 3 wt line you might end up with just what you are looking for. ( And with a good warranty behind it .)

For the past few years I've been fishing, for the most part, a BVK 9' for 5 wt underlined with a 4 wt line and really like that combination. This past week or so, I got out my GLoomis Streamdance 9' for 4 wt and underlined it with a 3 wt line and really like that combination for closer in ( out to about 40' ) fishing. I'd recommend the GLoomis Streamdance, my all time favorite fly rod, but it is priced well beyond your target figure.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John. I actually own a BVK, but mine is a 10' 4wt. The BVKs are definitely fast rods and a good value. There are surprisingly few 8'6" - 9' 3 wt rods especially in the moderate price range. Everyone makes 7'6" 3wt and increasingly 10' 3wts, but not much in between. I may just step up to a 4wt which seems to have a lot more choices around 8'6".

Check out the classicflyrodforum site. Someone just listed a Sage 9 ft 3 wt. for sale for $225.

Dave

I have a Winston cutthroat that I think is 9' 3 wt, but am not home to check it. If you are interested, I should be home in a few days and will let you know.

+ Reply to Thread