+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Trout Flies

Hybrid View

Default Favorite Trout Flies

I was just reading an article tonight about John Volker, Aka Robert Traver, that mentioned his favorite flies. Of course, he was from the MI UP and fished there mostly years ago. His favorite flies, according to the article, were the Candy Striper, Jassid, Betty McNault, Slim Jim, small Adams and the nymph. A couple of them were probably local pattern. The nymph looks like a hare ear. I was just wondering what some of you would list as your favorites given all the new patterns out there and your location.

I would have to list the Adams and Purple Haze as my favorite dries along with the Betty, Roberts Drake and the Madsen Skunk (variations) on the Ausable in MI. I really don't have a favorite nymph since there are so many, small and large. Of course, there are others depending on the time of year and the hatch, but just generally speaking. Steamers are out of the question...just too many to address. Any comments/critiques?
    God Bless America

I'm surprised you don't include Borcher's special. I've had good luck with it all over Michigan. I also have to have a couple of caddis flies, probably a deer hair caddis and a quill wing. Of course on the Au Sable I always have some ants too.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Not including Borchers was a mistake. I always keep a few of those in the box. Of course, a selection of deer hair caddis are in there as well. However, ants, I never have any luck with here. Thanks for pointing those out.
    God Bless America

I use stimulators for my fall back flies. My biggest AuSable brown caught on a dry took a size 12 stimulator on the Mason Tract. I've ties a couple Borchers but, for some reason, haven't given them a try. Fishing up there a few weeks ago was an exercize in futility. Worst I've ever seen there. so I reveled in the beauty of the river system, and thanked the Lord for plastic kayaks replacing aluminum canoes!

Chuck

Well, it hasn't gotten any better up here Chuck, at least on my portion of the Ausable mainstream. I've been coming up here for about 20 years and have never seen the weather quit like this year. Cooler temperatures, more rain and high water right into the middle of June. There is a distinct shortage of bugs (hatches) and nothing rising to speak about. Nymphing is not very productive either. Hopefully, the season will catch up in the coming days, but not yet. The daily kayak/canoe fleets are even below average for that matter.
    God Bless America

Like most people I know, I love catching fish on dry flies and when bass fishing top water lures. Used in conjunction with an Adams look alike I have had as much or more success with a black ant trailed in a "damp" position behind the dry.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread