+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flashback Material?

Default Flashback Material?

What are good materials to use for flashback-style nymphs? I have never tried these type of flies and would like some suggestions. Thanks.

John

Flashaboo or cut strips of mylar wrapping paper.

Christmas icicles, the wide pearlescent type, are very good, easy to use and cheep. One package will provide 15-20 tyers with a lifetime supply each. Problem is they are obviously out of season right now.

You can use pearlescent mylar wrapping 'paper' cut into 1/8" strips. I like to double it up for flashback nymphs.

Allan

Hooligan: Go to your local fly shop and ask for UTC tinsel in pearl color. Width will depend on the size you are tying. It's about a buck and a quarter a spool.

The cheapest flash materials can be had at any craft store , but you have to improvise and have imagination.
    I have used mylar packaging, mylar ribbons, and Christmas tinsel - in addition to the commercially available products. The krinkley and holographic types give off more flash ideal for muddy water conditions; however , for clear water conditions I try to use more subtle or 'fine' materials that create less flash and go for the flat mylar types. When tying for salt water , or pike flys , I generally use more and larger flash. The finest flash that I have (1/32") comes from a Christmas tassel from a craft store.
    I have even 'disected' copperized scour balls (for cleaning dishes) for use on my beadhead 'copper johns'. The scouring balls are from a dollar store (4 / $1.oo ).

Dadflyer

If you have any mylar piping around just cut a section and pull out a single strand. I think this works good for a lot of sizes. The piping comes in many flavors.

------------------

+ Reply to Thread