+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Archived Fly Tying Patterns

Hybrid View

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Default Archived Fly Tying Patterns

Hi everyone; I've not been on here in awhile. That said, I was looking for fly patterns that I could go back and find how to tie. I don't remember how to find that section.
    Could someone please steer me in the right direction.

Check out the Fly Tying section on the main page http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

If you know which specific fly you’re looking to tie you could try using the “Search” function on this site, although I’ve found it mis-fires on occasion.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Thanks ScottP I just found it.

Lightbulb Hmmmmm...

There are very few fly patterns, if any, that one could learn to tie from the content in the Fly Tying section of the website archives.

There are 19 years worth of patterns and ideas on how to tie them in the FOTW ( Fly of the Week ) section of the website archives. In the early years, there was a new fly every week, in the later years only one a month, until the whole FOTW feature just disappeared from the periodic front page on the home page. Whatever the number of patterns available in the FOTW archives, and it is probably in the neighborhood of 1000, plus or minus, some of the best fly tyers of the years 1997 through 2014 are represented there.

Curiously, some folks who like to show their work in the Fly Tying Forum of the Bulletin Board, never seemed to care about the archives for the website. I can recall suggesting to one fellow who is a regular on the Fly Tying Forum, and who has recently bemoaned the lack of contributions and participation to that Forum, that he submit patterns for the FOTW archives. He obviously was not interested in supporting the website that is the host to the Forum that he tries to promote.

John

P.S. Submitted for those who might be interested in the original poster's subject and question but haven't been provided any useful information on the subject.
    The fish are always right.

]Thank You John. I do remember FOTW and enjoyed it also

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Curiously, some folks who like to show their work in the Fly Tying Forum of the Bulletin Board, never seemed to care about the archives for the website. I can recall suggesting to one fellow who is a regular on the Fly Tying Forum, and who has recently bemoaned the lack of contributions and participation to that Forum, that he submit patterns for the FOTW archives. He obviously was not interested in supporting the website that is the host to the Forum that he tries to promote.
    That would be me; I'm sure John was being polite in not mentioning me by name. I did look in to submitting articles to the FOTW, but the format was a bit cumbersome and it's enough work putting an SBS together; being inherently lazy, I figured it was enough to put them on this forum.
    By the way, I really miss John's participation here, especially when he hotspotted some of my trip reports; I know the folks who fish those waters really appreciated his input.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Lightbulb Actually ...

... having submitted somewhere around 15 Fly of the Week articles for the front page on the home page, mostly my original patterns after I fished them and could vouch for their performance in a variety of waters for a variety of fishies, it is my opinion that submitting FOTWs to the website was easier than posting them to the forum that is supported by the website.

As far as fishing reports go, my opinion about what a fishing report should be is quite different than those posted by folks whose point seems to be "look at me, I went fishing," with nothing about what body of water was fished, generally where it is, what flies were used, how many of what fishies in what size ranges were caught.

Hotspotting also has been a clear point of departure for some members of the Bulletin Board. I saw a comment on another fly fishing website on the subject that noted "some folks have a sense of plenty, and some folks have a sense of scarcity." I have a sense of plenty and opt to help others enjoy what I enjoy, while others here seem have a sense of scarcity and want to keep what there is to be enjoyed all for themselves.

Hopefully, a lot more folks are enjoying the waters that I have enjoyed and wrote about because I wrote about them. If I am, or others are to be criticized for that, then almost every fly shop in the Intermountain West and Northern Rockies should be similarly criticized for regularly publishing information about waters in their general area or making it available to the general public upon inquiry. And all the fisheries conservationists who see the value of more widespread awareness of fisheries should similarly be criticized.

John

P.S. Naming a 60 mile long river that is well known to most anglers in Western Montana, Northern Idaho, and Eastern Washington is really a stretch of any concept of "hotspotting." If it is, both myself and Sagefisher are "guilty" again in a current thread started by someone looking for information about fisheries in the Missoula MT area by naming the Thompson. A fellow Bulletin Board member who has contributed a lot to his fly fishing community in the mid-West could have benefited from the information available from someone who has claimed to have fished in Montana for 35 or however many years, who knows Rock Creek well enough to complain about ruining a knee a time or two fishing it, who has not so cleverly disguised fishing the Thompson River a number of times, and has not welcomed participation in the threads he has started or clarifying information on threads he or others have started. Or maybe he provided information in a PM, which would be commendable.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread