+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick on eyes

Default Stick on eyes

Hello all, I am having troble with these stick on eyes. I can not get them to stick!!
    Neaver used these these before. Not sure what I am doing wrong!!! I tried putting them on with e-z shape sparkle body but cannot get them to stay on. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
    Bill

What king of stick on eyes are these? Are they the peel off stick on mylar eyes or the stick on doll eyes?
    Any rate I use glue with them. The mylar ones I stick them on then coat them with Sally Hansens. The doll eyes I use Goop.
    HTH

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi sperzonkers,

I had the same problem when I first started using stick-on eyes on my Crease Flies. Three or four casts and the eyes were gone. The glue on them just gives you a false sense of security.

Too make the eyes more permanent, put a small drop of Zap-a-gap on the area that you want to position the eye. Spread the glue over the area evenly with a bodkin. Peel the eye and touch it lightly to the extreme tip of a clean, glueless bodkin point (just barely hanging on the tip so it's almost ready to fall off). Position the eye over the glue, push eye into the glue with your finger removing the bodkin as you do. As alway with Zap-a-gap, don't leave your finger on the eye too long. You may be looking for the debonder with a fly attached to your finger.

After a lot of hard casting and/or a few fish, you may lose an eye from the fly. I bring damaged flies back to the tying bench and add a new eye when this occurs. Crease Flies are just too valuable to throw out. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Yeah! No kidding on the debonder! My 6 year old daughter thought it would be a good idea to pull off a couple of eyes I had just zapagap'd to a popper, and stick them to her forhead. Kinda looked like that 4 eyed alien from Lilo and Stitch. Keep a nice bottle of acetone handy for those sticky situations!!!!

[This message has been edited by Harebear (edited 19 May 2005).]
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Yes, these are the peel off mylar eyes. Can these be place over a built up thread head.
    Or will they not stick at all on thread?
    I will try to glue them, thanks!!

one other tip--once you have those mylar eyes on, give them a coat of clear nail polilsh. it will bring out the prizmatic properties and also make them last a bit longer.

Anymore, when I use eyes on streamers they get an overcoat of epoxy or UV hardener.

[url=http://www.saltwaterflies.com/catalog.html:54ade]http://www.saltwaterflies.com/catalog.html[/url:54ade]
    This outfit sell those eyes with a tab on them. We used to cut a peice of clear plastic w/ a tab and apply the eye to that and then tie it on. The "ready made" eye w/ tab is a lot easier.
    When useing the non-tab eyes on poppers and other stuff that we epoxy, the "glue" tends to weaken and the eye protrudes away from the bug. Folding the eye seems to help, but putting a wrap of mono sewing thread or 1# tippet material over the eye before epoxying is sure fire.
    ......lee s.

Forget the zap a gap, the eyes will stick to anything. Coat the thread with black or red Hard as Nails nail polish,add the eyes and add a clear coat of H as N nail polish. Mine dont last long enough to bother with epoxy-----

------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 19 May 2005).]

Sperzonker,

No, the peel off mylar eyes won't stick well at all to thread.

I like the way they look on thread heads, though, and this is how I do it:

Make your thread head. Try to make it as smooth as possible (not critical, just saves a few coats of finish). Put on a coat of head cement. Let it cure. Put on another coat. (Here I change to Hansen's Hard as Nails.) Let it cure. Put on another coat. Let it cure.

By now, you should have a 'glass smooth' head. (If not, put on another coat). The eyes will stick to this. Apply the eyes. Let them 'sit' overnight.

Now, if you don't want them to come off under fishing conditions, apply some epoxy, UV coating, or threee more coats of Hard as Nails or head cement over the eyes.

I know that this works, and it's both durable and looks good. With the Hansen's or regular lacquer head cement (don't know anything about the fancy 'head cements' that aren't sold by the quart) you can put on a fresh 'coat' every twenty minutes or so.

Takes some effort, obviously, but works.

If you have a fly turner, you can go from the first coat of head cement to a good coat of turned epoxy, apply the eyes to the cured epoxy, then add another turned epoxy coat over that. Takes a couple of days (if you turn the epoxy overnight) but makes a pretty and very durable head.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:29b21]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:29b21]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread