Thread: more feathers

Threaded View

Default more feathers

These Eastern wild turkey body feathers can be useful for fly tying but I have never heard of anyone using them. the only feather commonly used are tail feathers. Domestic turkeys give us turkey flats., rounds, biots and maraboo, mostly dyed white feathers. The wild feathers are real pretty in their own right, most are efferencent.The samples here all are. I'm not sure this an attraction to fish or not. The wide brassy band on the on the picture I posted yesterday is present on the feathers posted today and are spread across most of the feathers but is more muted. The angle at which you look at them change the brassy color to a blue tinge.<br>
    Am I the only person who uses these feathers? I hope not. Most feathers can tie multiple flies. My best fly is tied with the feather I posted yesterday(see Test). It's a nymph, using the brown tips for tail and legs. ab uses the barbs above the black band. I use a bead for the thorax and cover it with a strip of the efferencent band. the rib is small silver wire. I usually use red thread which becomes a red head. I have a picture of this fly lost somewhere in my laptop.If I can find it I'll post it. I posted two wet flies one a size 10 and the other a size 16. Nothing to brag about. Please excuse my poor pictures. I'm trying! If you would like to try tying with some of these feathers send me a PM and I'll send you a sample. Now, if I only can find that picture! Pat PS could only load 5 pics Left out size 10 wetfly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldster; 05-24-2019 at 01:16 AM.