+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cream Foam...

1. Default Cream Foam...

Anybody know where I can get some cream colored foam? I have been wanting to tie up some of Oliver Edwards' Mohican Mayflies for the Green Drake hatch in Rosoce but can't find any cream foam! Right now I have been trying white and it looks OK.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

I had the same problem and managed to get some from Marriotts. You also want to get the thinnest you can, I made soem up and when I compared them to the real insects they were fairly porky.
    Give Marriotts a ring.

3. Default

What is the name of the foam? Also, I know what you mean. I have been using the Wapsi Thin Fly Foam (2mm) and they look pretty good. Just like I said the color is off.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

You can use the 2mm foam from the craft stores. Using a ruler and a razor, single edge works best but be careful not to cut yourself, simply slice the foam to the thickness you want. Then cut it to the length needed.

Allan

I got a couple of different kinds
    Scintilla fly buoy foam 2 mm thin #15 Creme
    Rainy's cross link foam cream 1/16 "

Also I have the hareline dubbin micro thin foam in tan which is not qute cream but not so far away which i was going to try but haven't as yet.

In the end I used the Scintilla which is a nice colour and at 2mm fairly thin but still seemed a little thick for the pattern, although perhaps there are ways to make them a little thinner. The patterns looked really cool until i actually had a real mayfly in my hand in the UK (the same river as in the DVD from Oliver edwards) when the abdomen was definitely too fat in my version.

All these came from Marriotts, I live about 30 mins away so get to peruse at my hearts content. All of them were fairly cheap ranging from $1 to $1.65.

They're usually pretty helpful so give them a call or order online.

David

A little trick I learned for cutting foam is to use a rolling wheel fabric cutter and a metal straight edge. Fiskar is the brand I use . If your wife sews she may already have one. The wheels are replacable and only use with the special mat that comes with or you will be replacing the wheel sooner than needed. I have litterly cut thousands of strips and am still on the original blade.

Mike,Wapsi makes razor foam which is 1 mm and .5 mm,comes in white,tan,black & yellow
    You can change the color with markers
    G

To add to blanhar's tip....saw a guy using one of the triangular architectural rulers for the straight edge...looked like it was very easy to handle....Available at Office Depot...

The mat that Blanphar mention is marked off with a ruler scale so there is now need to get the triangle that duckster added-----Just lay the staight edge on 1/8-1/4, any width and roll the cutter.

------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by William Fitzgerald (edited 15 May 2005).]

Thanks, Bill, but as a point of clarification [and I have no clue what that mat is like]...I'm suggesting that instead of a flat ruler the triangular shape is very easy to hold and stabilize for the straight edge ....nothing to do with measuring ....

I'm thinking it may be easier to cut really narrow strips.

+ Reply to Thread