+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for Regal Vise owners

Default Question for Regal Vise owners

Hi all, I have an opertunity to buy a Regal vise with the Traditional Bronze base at a good price. I don't "need it " but it's nicely built and i'm tempted.
    Everything looks like new but it has an odd (to me anyway) trait in that when a hook is in the jaws , the lever (that operates the jaws) can move back and forth freely to some degree. The bigger the hook, the more slop in the handle.
    i.e. if /when I rotate the head the handle floats around. Is this normal?

p.s. Already happy with my Renzetti Traveler and HMH Standard so don't need alternate suggestions. I'm just thinking it might be fun to try something different and am looking to find out if this is normal behavior for a Regal.
    Last edited by weehooker; 04-14-2019 at 11:40 AM.

It is not slop, it is the way the vice is made. With no tension on the operating cam the lever is free to move. I use mine as a production vice and have tied thousands of flies on it. It holds hooks as good today as it did back in the late eighties or early nineties.

fishbum

Thanks, that answers my question. I have no doubt it's built like a tank, just wasn't sure if that was how they were designed that way or not. ( Seem to remember the lever feeling 'stiffer" on a cheap clone I had some 25 years ago.)
    I'll likely buy it and give it a whirl.

Blog Entries

Brings up a funny memory. In the early 90’s, I got a 3rd party adaptor which allowed me to turn my old Regal 360 degrees. Didn’t like the “flop” of the loose handle. Sent it in with a letter outlining my concern. The owner returned my Vise with a heavy rubber band holding the handle still.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Brings up a funny memory. In the early 90’s, I got a 3rd party adaptor which allowed me to turn my old Regal 360 degrees. Didn’t like the “flop” of the loose handle. Sent it in with a letter outlining my concern. The owner returned my Vise with a heavy rubber band holding the handle still.
    Not so funny...with 32years experience as a Mechanical Engineer, that's the best I'm comeing up with at the moment too. This vise wears a rubber band as I type this

That said, I'm going to try one of Regal's Infinity material clips. Thinking maybe the O ring may add a little friction to the lever.
    In any case, it's not like I'll be spinning the head regularly, it's more of a "in my head thing".
    Thanks again!

Bought a Regal knock off for $60. years ago and used it to tie thousands of flies, still as goods new.

As an update to this thread. I purchased the vise and added a Infinity Material Clip. When installed the O ring on the clip gets streatched accross the lever on the underside of the head. This adds some friction to the lever and while it doesn't hold it stationary does keep 90% of the "flopping" from occuring. Problem solvded.

+ Reply to Thread