+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wings

Default wings

I have always enjoyed Catskill style dry flies, considering they were the first I learned to tie and that I think they are pretty. I'm wondering what type of synthetic materials are best for divided upright wings? Z-Lon, Hi-Viz, Antron...ect?
    Thanks

------------------
    "If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaak Walton

Wood Duck Flank, Mallard Flank, Mallard Quill and Hen Hackle Tips.....

I have used High viz for posts on parachute style, but i have never tried it as an upright divided wing.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

OK, I'll be honest. I have seen them tied with antron and poly in bins in shops and I about puked.

I'm sure they work and are simpler to tie but "Catskill" and "Synthetic" just don't go together.

My dream is that fly tiers around the world do not use synthetic materials as a way to avoid learning the sometimes more difficult route.

Like my High School math teacher pronounced: "You will not use a calculator (synthetics) until you can do the math by hand (tie with natural materials)!"

Step up to the challenge and grow from it .

If you tied them w/ synthetic wings they wouln"t be Catskill.

------------------
    Ron M

I agree with what most of you have said. Considering the synthetics available I was just curious if any would be good for divided wings. Thanks for the feedback

------------------
    "If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaak Walton

Sorry not a Catskill fly if synthetics are used. Also very insulting to be even considered for a Catskill fly period.

Traditional Catskill Flies, are tied using the natural materials of the period. But there is no law that says, you cannot tie some varation of the Catskill Flies for your own use, with other materials....

Fly Fishing is a very large church, with lots of pews for everyone to do their own thing, without bothering anyone else.

I forget who said it, but a true traditionalist would live in a cave, fish only using their hands, kill the fish with a rock. The rock would have to come from England and cost $300....

~ Parnelli

They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 13 May 2005).]

I tie 99% of my flies with nothing but hair and feathers, but I like this fly. [url=http://www.invictaflies.us/Dry%20Flies/Adams%20Shimmerwing.htm:618b1]http://www.invictaflies.us/Dry%20Flies/Adams%20Shimmerwing.htm[/url:618b1]

As others have said, the wings on 'Catskill' flies are tied with natural materials. That is not to say you cannot tie them with synthetics but then they would not be a Catskill fly. A light Hendrickson with a wing of gray HiVis would still be a light Hendrickson but not a Catskill Hendrickson. Again, this distinction has nothing to do with effectiveness.

Parnelli - This also has nothing to do with tradition. It has to do with identification.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread