+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a new reel.

Hybrid View

Default Looking for a new reel.

I just built a new 6 wt rod for bass and carp fishing and I am in need of a new reel. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent reel that won't break the bank?
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Might look at Redington Behemoth. I think $139. I have 2, 5/6 and 9/10. A great drag. Use mine in the salt.

The generic shop brands from BassPro/Cabelas regularly get good reviews and come in all price brackets. I'd also look at the Lamson Liquid especially in the 3 pack configuration which is hard to beat at <$200, and the reel alone is around $100. There are a ton of no-name, off-shore manufactured, rebranded reels out there for cheaper, but I tend to favor brands with a known track record in case I need repairs. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    The generic shop brands from BassPro/Cabelas regularly get good reviews and come in all price brackets. I'd also look at the Lamson Liquid especially in the 3 pack configuration which is hard to beat at <$200, and the reel alone is around $100. There are a ton of no-name, off-shore manufactured, rebranded reels out there for cheaper, but I tend to favor brands with a known track record in case I need repairs. YMMV.
    I can second this.

I have the designed by Lamson sold by Cabelas "Prestige Plus" models in the 3/4 wt. and 7/8wt. sizes as well as the Lamson Liquid 3 pack in 5/6 wt. and there's not a lot of difference EXCEPT you can't buy extra spools for the Cabelas versions. But if you use one line or don't mind changing line they are a good value. Especially on sale.

I like the known brand too for the same reasons. of course a really nice higher priced fully machined reel is nice but I haven't found them to be necessary for any fishing I do.

I own and use a "Piscifun" fully machined reel I think I paid $55 for. The one I have has been flawless and smooth and
    it's nice for the price.

But my favorite is the Redington Behemoth. Have one in 7/8 and it's solid. The drag is great even if I don't need it that much. It's nice to have something that is functionally that good even if it's not necessary.

Until a couple of years ago I used old Martin's and Pluegers except in for a Bass Pro Ultralight machined I use on a 2wt. and the Cabelas I used on the 8wt and above. Never had any problems with any Martin or Pfluegers.

I've always liked the Okuma Helios reels.

Hey Brad,
    And maybe it's time to take that Kusse reel off it's pedestal and give it a spin.:>)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    I just built a new 6 wt rod for bass and carp fishing and I am in need of a new reel. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent reel that won't break the bank?
    There are deals at Sierra Outdoors:

https://www.sierra.com/lamson-litesp...-reel~p~543rm/

https://www.sierra.com/scientific-an...y-reel~p~275vg
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Because you are talking carp and a 6 wt... Several people posted very good points including the Lamsons at STP, and especially the Echo. Both reels are highly regarded among guides here in AK for serious duty on salmon. I own and use a large number of both and find them truly high quality, tough stuff.

That said, there is a serious sleeper IME&O. That would be the TFO BVK reels. At the local fly shop I spend tons of time at I was talking with one of the pioneering old guard guides a while back and he was saying he had gone to the BVK reels for guiding for king salmon on the Good News River a number of years ago and had found the reels flawless. I had purchased several of them a number of years ago and have used them extensively on coho salmon in a tough place. The river I fish a lot has a ton of fish but they are spooky (they ARE silvers...) and I need to hook them at the tail of the pool and DEMAND they do not go to the top of the pool and put all of the other fish down. The BVKs I use for that have been put to pretty serious tests on rods from 8 to 12 weight. Like I said, they WILL not get into the school.

So far the BVK reels have done everything I have asked without fail and they have beautiful, smooth drags and are tough. For the money I find them hard to match.

I have a Wind River from Cabela's on my 7 weight, and I actually like it.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...1.uts?slotId=0
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

This may be late, but Piscafun Platte for about 160 is machined cnc, has enclosed drag that will stop a truck, and spools are available. For sat or brackish water hard to beat. They alsohave the Sword at about 65; still machined but drag is not sealed. See McFly Angler for reviews.

+ Reply to Thread