+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A slight variation of the Splinter Mouse

Default A slight variation of the Splinter Mouse

This is not an original pattern, but rather a variation of the Splinter Mouse pattern which is actually a variation on the Gurgler pattern, that I use for LM bass. I thought I'd like to add some diving and wiggle action to this pattern, so I added some Fish Lips which you can get from a number of fly tying shops online. They are super easy to use and add a new dimension to patterns both new and old. Since this pattern dives about 3-4 inches when you strip it in, I added eyes as well to give the mouse a bit more "scared-prey" look. I am planning on swapping out the tail on this pattern with some thin paracord material from the craft shop because I am concerned that the rabbit skin tails will eventually rip off with short strikes. The 3D eyes are the kind with a 3/8" stem on the back also from craft stores. I just add a drop of super glue to the stem and slip them into the space created when folding back the foam head. I also added just a bit of UV material to the eyes to give them extra holding power. I tie this in the natural color and in all black depending on the fishing conditions and time of day.

Jim Smith

That’s quite a mouthful; very nice.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Very creative and practical. I like it. Don't worry about the short strikes. You wouldn't want that fish anyway
    God Bless America

Interesting tie but why would one want a mouse pattern to dive? Undoubtedly it will work, especially for bass, but it seems a bit contrary to the idea of the pattern, which is supposed to be a struggling, partially sunken mouse. If anything, inverting the fishlipps so it pushes more water but would not dive would make more sense to me. Not meant as a criticism, merely an observation. One of the charms of mouse patterns is to see the surface strike, after all.

Some mouse patterns use vernille or thin strips of leather for the tails, which might be more supple than parachute cord. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread