+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on extended bodies?

Default Question on extended bodies?

Hi all,
    I am currently tying up some mayflies for a fishing trip this weekend. In order to get the extended body I have just been dubbing onto some gold wire. I'm afraid this won't float, so what elese can I do? Or should I just ditch the big tail idea and make a fly like the FOTW?
    -Thanks for any input, David

I made a "tool" to help with extended bodies. I use about 13 inches of a wire coat hanger. The end is bent so if fits around the stem of the vise. The other end is bent like a hook. To that end I have tied a piece of string - about 6 inches. At the other end of the string, I have attached a pair of hackle pliers. When I make the extended body, I tie a piece of monofilament line to the hook when I tie on the thread. Makeyour wings, add the tail, then when you're ready to do the body, I pull the "tool" about half way up the stem of the vise and attach the hackle pliers to the monofilament. This provides tension to the line and allows you to tie extended bodies (woven and dubbed). After you reach the hook, clip the monofilament at the end of the body. The body is somewhat flexable and not too heavy. You can adjust the tension on the line by bending the coat hanger wire a little.

[This message has been edited by ranchwife (edited 11 May 2005).]

3. Default

I've tied some on a loop of monofilament for wiggle nymphs. It works and would work for extended bodies (just tie it down to the hook instead of looping it through another piece of mono). However it is a huge pain in the neck to tie on 7x mono. As an extended body wouldn't need a loop of line Mason hardline could be subtituted. It wouldn't be all that stiff, but it beats supple 2 pound test.

For larger patterns I have used foam for extended bodies.
    Good luck.

Warmouth

In the book...

"The Second Fly-Tyer's Almanac"

It show in great detail, how to do a mayfly using a needle, your vise, deer hair (I perfer elk).. and just tye body straight on the needle.. slid it off... and proceed to tye i to the hook

I try to post a few picture later tonight

You might want to try the 'Two Feather Fly'. One feather for tail, body and wing. One feather the hackle.
    Another is the 'Riffle Dun' by Walt Dette.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread