+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bread fly

Default bread fly

Hi friends
    this summer i will go to try to fish mullets.
    anybody has a good recipe for bread crumb fly?
    thanks
    Paco soria

a guy i used to work with caught his first fish on a fly by using an Elk Hair Caddis to imitate the bread crumbs folks were feeding the ducks and fish upstream from him.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

You might try using small white pom poms on a small hook like a short shank wet fly size 10. With maybe a clear glass bead-head or without. Or you might try small bunches of yarn to build a rounded white dough ball on the hook shank. Might also be a good idea to chum first with real bread dough balls. Never tried this on Mullet but I have wanted to. Best of luck.

Just found that link for Mullet on the fly:
    [url=http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/mullet.html:eb19c]http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/mullet.html[/url:eb19c]

Enjoy!

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 10 May 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

A fly made of spun off-white deer hair has been used in the UK for carp fishing, maybe that would work.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

Sounds like a perfect application for some open cell foam and a permanant marker...

Some white or light cream dubbing works, as well as yarn or even some chenille in the correct shades.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:ce1ed]Warmwater Angler[/url:ce1ed]

kengore,

That's a good idea . But I think I would add a little weight to the shank (either a beadhead or some shank weight) to get the fly down, then put some white or off-white open-cell foam on the shank to get a doughball look.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

8. Default

I just had my first success on bread flies a few weeks ago. My targets were sunfish and anything else around them. I dubbed some white Polarfibre and a little bit of tan craft fur on a size 12 dry fly hook. I wouldn't add any weight to the hook unless the fish are deep. The fly was sinking just about the same as the bread. Yes chumming was involved. The fish started to spot that the fly was a fake as I could see some of them coming up to it and checking it out for a couple of seconds and then leaving.

The best fish was a 9 or 10 inch Golden Shiner. I outfished my companions who were using actual bread.
    Sometimes flies are better.

Warmouth

PS I squeezed the chummed bread so that it sank slowly and could be tossed farther. A foam or deer hair version might be best if the chum is floating.
    What has "flyfishing" come to?

[This message has been edited by Warmouth (edited 11 May 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread