+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What one fly?

Hybrid View

Chartreuse over white Clouser Deep minnow on a size 4 hook. About 3 inches long. Will take more than 25 species of freshwater and saltwater fish within 50 miles of my home ranging from big bluegill to yellowfin tuna. Fish it year round.

If I had to fish only one fly for a calendar year, I’d skip that year and take up stained glass again. Fishing one fly for more than an hour takes just about all my willpower; tying the same fly over and over is a level of Hell Dante never dreamed of. Sorry, but I have too much fun experimenting to tie myself down to limitations like that.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-21-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Personally I would go with a size 8 or 10 Beadhead Thin Mint anywhere.

I've been taking a lot of fish on a Brown Caddis Emerger (basically a Bead Head Pheasant Tail with a gray Krystal Dub collar):
    http://www.charlesmeck.com/a20030800.html

I don't know why it is called a Brown Caddis Emerger, but it sure does work when mayflies are around.

The fly that seems to be working for me over the last couple of years, almost every month of the year, is Craven's JuJu Baetis. I tie them in the original style, UV style, and with a black tungsten bead head for use as a dropper. Sizes 18-22.

Ted

Adam's, of course!! (any variation)
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

I agree with tailing loop, a chartreuse over white clouser will take more kinds of fish over a wider geographic area than any other. A second choice would be a black wooly bugger. Both are successful in cold water, warm water, and the salt. Can go about anywhere and catch something on either.

+ Reply to Thread