+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What one fly?

Default What one fly?

I'm just curious here...if you had to choose one fly to fish for an entire calendar year, what fly would you choose? I live and angle in Colorado's Gunnison Valley and I would choose a Pat's Rubberlegs Stonefly Nymph. Specifically a size 8 chocolate & black version. This nymph catches fish from mid-February all the way through mid-November and easily catches most of my fish each fishing season. If I'm nymphing, at least one of my flies is always a Pat's Rubberlegs. I'm interested what fly you would fish if you had to choose only one for an entire year?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug Dillingham
    Author of "Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country"
    www.GunnisonFlyFish.com

#10 olive BH Krystal Bugger.
    Isaiah 41:10

pine squirrel zonker crosses over to many different species

I'd have to go with the Tenkara style ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXiwrN6OJg

To answer that question probably calls for some clarification as to what species of fish a person is targeting. Living in the South, I prefer warmwater fishing over traveling to the mountains of North Georgia to fish for stocked trout. My go-to pattern for large bluegill and bass is an all black leech pattern tied with a bit of black rabbit fur or Arctic Fox fur depending on the size of the hook and wrapped with a black seal fur dubbing brush. Catches fish all year round and does extremely well on trout when I do make the trek to the mountain or fish the Chattahoochee river in closer to Atlanta.

Jim Smith

Lately, I've been hung up on the Spider Soft Hackle. In particular the Partridge and Orange. It's fishable almost year round, wet or dry, for trout or panfish.
    Partridge & Orange.jpg
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Chartreuse over white Clouser Deep minnow on a size 4 hook. About 3 inches long. Will take more than 25 species of freshwater and saltwater fish within 50 miles of my home ranging from big bluegill to yellowfin tuna. Fish it year round.

If I had to fish only one fly for a calendar year, I’d skip that year and take up stained glass again. Fishing one fly for more than an hour takes just about all my willpower; tying the same fly over and over is a level of Hell Dante never dreamed of. Sorry, but I have too much fun experimenting to tie myself down to limitations like that.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-21-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Personally I would go with a size 8 or 10 Beadhead Thin Mint anywhere.

I've been taking a lot of fish on a Brown Caddis Emerger (basically a Bead Head Pheasant Tail with a gray Krystal Dub collar):
    http://www.charlesmeck.com/a20030800.html

I don't know why it is called a Brown Caddis Emerger, but it sure does work when mayflies are around.

+ Reply to Thread