+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All right, now that I have the feathers, what?

Default All right, now that I have the feathers, what?

I am looking for some materials for tying and am considering raising some animals but just checking for chicken I came across a recently killed turkey and asked for the feathers. They were taken off the skin using hot water, though they spent some time in the sun they're still a little wet, I dried them but are now somehow smelly. Any one, what do I do now? I've read some about borax, but can't find anything on procedures.

Any info highly appreciated.

Dave

If the feathers are off the skin you do not need the borax. Just wash the feathers real well with dish soap and rinse them well and let them dry out. Stroke the fibers into position, after they dry and you will have them ready for tying.

You would have needed the borax if the feathers were on the skin. Then you would still wash the feathers to get any blood or dirt off of them Dry them then put the Borax on the skin with the skin side up. let her dry and you will have it down and ready to tie with. Just make sure that any fat and meat that is on the skin is trimed off first to. Clean the skin well before putting the Borax on it.
    I have a friend that does skins for me at times and he dips them in white gas. It kills any bugs that may have been on it. I have to say after he washes them and dries them they are beautiful and do not smell of gas either. Ron

If some of the feathers appear damaged and crumpled after all the washing and drying don't despair. Feathers can be restored to their origonal shape by holding them in the steam of a tea kettle and preening them.

Works wonders on mangled flies too...

Odours can get picked up in the feathers, esp. if they get left too long with blood or uncured skin. Try layering them in a shoe box with some dry borox or baking soda. Borox is usually used as a desicant to dry out fresh skins, but just like the box of 'Arm & Hammer' in the fridge it will help absorb odours.

While you are at it you might as well take the time to strip off all the unusable fluff at the base of the feathers.This is the first place any moths will attack.

You guys are just GREAT. I will follow all indications.

thank you very much guys.

Dave

Ps. Any info on how to get the feathers off the skin other than using hot water?

[This message has been edited by dphotoco (edited 11 May 2005).]

Yes just pluck them off dry. Easy to do just grab them and give them a yank. Ron

+ Reply to Thread