+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of retrospect here:

Default A bit of retrospect here:

In October of 2005 I was reading this forum and found a post that peaked my interest so much I printed it out, and still have it today. Jim Hatch added a post titled ?Warmwater Midges, Scuds, and Nymphs?. The gist of the post was that as much fun as it is to catch our warmwater prey on the surface, it is far more productive fishing midges, scuds and nymphs, or as he called them ?the normal bread and butter kritters that these fish routinely subsist on?. He, and others, go on to talk about favorites and suggestions of other sub-surface fare that have worked and the preference of different offerings by different species.

The post made me examine my bluegill fishing since I had relocated to Kentucky from New England via a stint in Texas in 2001. Being mostly a cork popping bug bluegill and occasionally bass fly-fisherman, I had to admit that while I was having fun I was not as productive, number wise, as I might have been. I gathered the proper material and tied myself the requisite array of flies to move my quest deeper into the ponds and streams I fish. I must admit my fly fishing was much more enjoyable being able to add many more fish to the tally. While I still will throw a popper or rubber spider, I am much more likely to explore the depths than I once was.

The point is that I think while many would not consider bringing up old, well-worn subjects that most would not find interesting, there may be one to whom the material is new and will make a difference in the way they fish and the enjoyment they get out of it.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Same way I feel. I often look into the archives for reminders and to re-learn things I have forgotten over the years.

Having had the pleasure of fishing with Jim on his home lake a while back, I agree with him completely. I am fortunate to live on a very nice 50-acre lake outside of Atlanta that has a very healthy population of big hungry Bluegill and Redear Sunfish. My go-to pattern has always been an all black leech tied on a size 10 2XL hook. I find that I catch more fish, and certainly larger fish, subsurface than any topwater patterns. While jumbo-size bream can certainly be taken on poppers or other topwater patterns, they are much more inclined to take a subsurface pattern down where they hang out around submerged limbs and stumps. I sure miss Jim Hatch being here on the FAOL boards. I hope that he is doing well and enjoying himself in retirement.

Jim Smith

About 95% of my warmwater fly fishing is subsurface.
    That is what works best for me.

Rick

Subsurface is where the fish catch most of their food, I find sub surface more satisfying for catching, surface is fun but not as good as in the fishes pantry.

I completely agree with the opinion of fish eating more of what in the water than what's on the water. But, I like to fish a popper/hopper dropper rig. I am curious to know approximately what depth you are catching most of your subsurface fish. Where I fish most of the beds are in 4 ft. or less of water and that's where the fish are located.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I completely agree with the opinion of fish eating more of what in the water than what's on the water. But, I like to fish a popper/hopper dropper rig. I am curious to know approximately what depth you are catching most of your subsurface fish. Where I fish most of the beds are in 4 ft. or less of water and that's where the fish are located.
    I'm always wanting to try something new or different, but I usually find that by the end of the day I'm back to the ol' hopper 'n' dropper!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I just came in from our lake using poopers with nothing. So, I'm ready to give the subsurface a try later. Thanks for the article.
    God Bless America

John, I am assuming you are in FL at this time of the year not hanging out in MI. I was thinking back and realized it's been close to 40 years ago, one of my National Guard friends and I decided to stay in south Mississippi during the middle weekend of AT and fish a lake we had read about in the MS Fish & Wildlife's magazine. He was primarily a fly angler and a pretty good north Mississippi bream fisherman. I was more into spinning and casting at the time. After fishing the first half day we were not doing well. The lake had a slot limit on bass so catching something keeping size meant either smaller or larger than usual in the bass department. Bream were not available to the normal back home methods of poppers or sponge spiders.

Years later, I talked with a guy who had lived in the area for an extended period of time. He told me it took him a couple of years to figure bream out there, they bedded in 8 - 10 ft. of water, which was pretty clear for our area. If would not surprise me to find the same in your area of FL with lots of spring fed lakes down there. I would interested to hear what you discover.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,
    I may have misled you. Our lake is a golf course lake in the back of our house in Florida. It covers about 30 acres, but relatively shallow in most parts (3-4 feet). I'm sure it is much deeper out in the middle. All of the golf course lakes are interconnected with underground pipes I am told. With that said, I have caught 8-10 pound bass during spring spawning when the big ones come to the shallows. I have also caught some huge Blue Gill out of that lake close to dark. I did catch one Carp last year on a subsurface fly that would easily go 15 pounds. I have seen some that would go much bigger, but they won't take my fly.
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread