In October of 2005 I was reading this forum and found a post that peaked my interest so much I printed it out, and still have it today. Jim Hatch added a post titled ?Warmwater Midges, Scuds, and Nymphs?. The gist of the post was that as much fun as it is to catch our warmwater prey on the surface, it is far more productive fishing midges, scuds and nymphs, or as he called them ?the normal bread and butter kritters that these fish routinely subsist on?. He, and others, go on to talk about favorites and suggestions of other sub-surface fare that have worked and the preference of different offerings by different species.

The post made me examine my bluegill fishing since I had relocated to Kentucky from New England via a stint in Texas in 2001. Being mostly a cork popping bug bluegill and occasionally bass fly-fisherman, I had to admit that while I was having fun I was not as productive, number wise, as I might have been. I gathered the proper material and tied myself the requisite array of flies to move my quest deeper into the ponds and streams I fish. I must admit my fly fishing was much more enjoyable being able to add many more fish to the tally. While I still will throw a popper or rubber spider, I am much more likely to explore the depths than I once was.

The point is that I think while many would not consider bringing up old, well-worn subjects that most would not find interesting, there may be one to whom the material is new and will make a difference in the way they fish and the enjoyment they get out of it.