+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trimming sequence for a deer hair diver

Default Trimming sequence for a deer hair diver

These four photos show the steps to trimming a mess of deer hair into a deer hair diver. First photo is the deer hair "fluff" (as my 8-year old calls it) after it has been brushed and then steamed. Second photo is rough cuts done with a scissor to get the general shape of the bass bug. Third photo is the nose after it's been cut with scissors and shaped with a double-edged razor. Fourth and final photo is the finished diver.

Excellent - I never could get them to look that good.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Nice sequential on that one. I notice that the final product has a weed guard, but don't see that in the shot before. Is that a different fly?
    God Bless America

Thanks Alberto, any help with the demon deer hair is welcome!!
    Mike

Alberto,

Very nice. How do you like the Fugly hair packer?; seems to work well for you.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Jcampbell,

Same fly, in the previous photos the weedguard monofilament is hidden by my hand. The weedguard is the last thing I tie in once the trimming and shaping is completed. I use a small square cut from a clear plastic bag as a "hackle guard" to clear any hair that could be left around the eye of the hook. I re-start the thread and then secure the weed guard. The plastic bag "hackle guard" can then be ripped off.

Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    Nice sequential on that one. I notice that the final product has a weed guard, but don't see that in the shot before. Is that a different fly?

ScottP,

It's great for bass bugs. For smaller flies like Goddard Caddis or Muddlers I still use the Brassie. I switched to the Fugly after an injury. My hand slipped off the Brassie as I was packing a clump on a big bug. I got lucky the hook point did not end up in my thumb but I ended up with a good scrape across my thumbnail and top of my thumb.

Alberto

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Alberto,

Very nice. How do you like the Fugly hair packer?; seems to work well for you.

Regards,
    Scott

OK, I am even more impressed since no tie in of the mono can be seen at the nose. Great job and technique with the bag clipping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    Jcampbell,

Same fly, in the previous photos the weedguard monofilament is hidden by my hand. The weedguard is the last thing I tie in once the trimming and shaping is completed. I use a small square cut from a clear plastic bag as a "hackle guard" to clear any hair that could be left around the eye of the hook. I re-start the thread and then secure the weed guard. The plastic bag "hackle guard" can then be ripped off.

Alberto
    God Bless America

Hey, I'm not the only one that steams a deer hair fly before trimming! Nice job!

+ Reply to Thread