+ Reply to Thread

Thread: River Smallies

Default River Smallies

This summer im going out to western MA for some smallie fishing in Miller's river. This may come as a shock to some but this is going to be my first real go at some smallies. Do you guys know of or reccommend any go-to smallie patterns, above or below the surface. Any replies will be appreciated.

Thanks and tight lines,

Chris

Clousers in olive over tan, and brown over orange are great in areas with crayfish. Lightly weighted muddlers (olive) for middepths and a Gartside Gurgler on top are my picks. I hope to get out there soon and try that great river for the first time. Let me know how you do! Tight Lines, Jim

The trout fishing on the Millers is good, too... until about July 1 and then again in Sept. and October. For sub-surface, woolly buggers in size 10 or 12 work great with my preference on the Millers being Olive or Black. Big Hare's Ear Nymphs work nice too. The Conehead Combo (see last week's Fly of the Week) made its debute on this river and is a real winner. Use smaller sizes in summer, olive is best.

I find it difficult to get the smallies to come to the surface, perhaps because I fish during the height of the day. So, I usually walk downstream and cast across the river, letting my buggers and nymphs swing in the current. You can cover a lot of territory that way, until you find out where the fish are. All of my wet flies for this river are weighted. In deeper areas I will cast upstream and dead drift a nymph. I have picked up some big fish off the bottom this way and even a trout or two during the summer, which is alwyas a surprise. When I have caught bass on the surface it has been with rubber-legged foam flies, like a small Chernobly Ant. While wading down the center of the river, I will cast the Ant toward the bank. My luck with poppers during the day is minimal. Perhpas because the water gets very shallow in summer and it frightens the fish. If I fished at dusk I might have better luck with poppers.

------------------
    Peter F [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com:c60f2]www.fishingwithflies.com[/url:c60f2]
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Peter F (edited 08 May 2005).]

orange and brown clousers, black or dark burgundy wooly buggers, poppers of all kinds. have fun!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hi Chris,

I alway do well on small mouth using a crayfish pattern. The EZY Crayfish (developed by Gretchen) on page 92 of the Fly Pattern Encyclopedia is a favorite. It is basically a brown bugger with the carapace material dividing the tail in half (to make claws) then tied along the top of the fly as a shellback/carapace held in place with a wire rib. Good luck and let us know how the trip turns out. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:4b4dc]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:4b4dc]

I tie up patterns out of the "Just Old Flies and stuff archives, and the Smallmouth Bass show their approval, by playing "Tug-of-War" with me.

They also like down size steelhead and salmon patterns on a size 8 salmon hook....

------------------
    ~ Parnelli

Down in the bottom of the Itty Bitty Pool.
    Swam Three Little Fishies, and a Mommy Fishy too.
    "Swim", said the Mommy Fishy, "Swim if you can!"
    And they, swam swam, all over the Dam.

Boop Boop Ditta Datta Watta Shoo....
    And they, swam swam, all over the Dam

CJR,

I have fished the Miller's with PeterF, streamers, specially weighted ones work really well. I also like to use the Conehead Combo, but also like Conehead Muddlers or bucktails fished on a sink-tip line.

One thing about the Miller's, at least in the sections I have fished, the smallies don't get big, but there are tons of them. Most of the fish will be in the 7"-9" range. There are also bluegills in there.

Regards,

Alberto

wow, great advice all of you. Thanks guys, always make my day.

Tight lines,
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread