+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shack nasties here.

Default Shack nasties here.

Ponds are frozen over for the most part. By tomorrow that last open water will be gone.
    My better half says I will be in the dog house soon.

Rick

Blog Entries

you need to spend a couple of weeks in the winter in AZ or somewhere warm. Yuma has stripers, Large Mouth Chanel Cats all Redears and Crappie all in the rivers canals and ponds in the area.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Don't give up yet, Rick! I visited 5 local public ponds Sunday. 2 were 100% ice-covered. 2 were 65-75% ice-covered. 1 was 100% open water. I flyfished the open one and caught at least 25 crappies, 4 bluegills and a bass.
    The weather forecast for later this week and next week are high temps in the mid-40's here. I think the frozen ponds will open back up.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Not frozen here yet, but woke to 3" inches of snow this AM so soon may be. Anyway, it was bloody windy all weekend; this is as close as I got...

Last edited by Prairieschooner; 11-15-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Nothing like that here, still have the A/C running, but the water in the local lake is getting real low due to the lack of rain, and the wind has been really bad also.

North Texas the water is cold but the Large Mouth Bass don't know it catching GB them on water pushing flys.

I avoid the "shack nasties" by still working ( at 76yo). This not only alleviates boredom but finances my vacations and several vices which also are alive and doing well. The "working" is kind of a "forced" choice. I have always been self-employed and other than Social Security I receive no pension. Hardly enough to maintain a steady flow of Wyoming Whiskey ( try it ,88/100 proof) , fine dining and the aforementioned vacations. Working also keeps the mind alive and keeps me in some semblance of "shape". And for the occasional reverse , I DO look forward to a day or two of doin nothin.:>)
    GO BEARS! My two favorite teams are the BEARS and whoever is playing the PACKERS :>)

Mark

Rick, time to stock up on Hanak 400 or similar (60 degree jig hooks), and start tying up some Perdigons, Red Darts, Frenchies, etc. Use really large beads, and some lead wire underwraps (or lead-free). Once you get Safe Ice, cut a hole and go ice fishing!

Y'all can flame me if you want. I fish all sorts of different ways.

WE had some warm days and the ice went off. But it rained and had 20 mph winds. Now there is a thin sheet of ice.
    Been tying flies for CFR and RR.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread