+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I improve?

Default How can I improve?

Okay guys, I am asking for your pointers. What can I do to improve on my tying of this fly? Let me have it, cause I really would like to make it the best I can.

Thanks,

Don

Here are some larger versions if you have the bandwidth and/or want a closer look (they are about 2MB each):

[url=http://members.cox.net/drolfson/images/RoyalTrude.jpg:ca3da]Color Adjusted and slightly cropped[/url:ca3da]
    [url=http://members.cox.net/drolfson/images/DSCN1117.JPG:ca3da]Straight off the camera card[/url:ca3da]

Hope you enjoy. Don

Okay, I had to move the images off to Photobucket. Seems the server I have used before is no longer in our DMZ

Okay, I moved the linked ones once more, because photobucket resized them for me. Nice initiative for them, unwanted by me. Hopefully this is the lat time I gotta move them, and I hope all y'all can see them.

[This message has been edited by drolfson (edited 03 May 2005).]
    Don Rolfson

Don,

It would help if the images showed.

Big red X on the in-line link, and the other two links do not respond for me. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Yep JC, I had to move my files. They work now.

Are you serious? No tips on improving? Tying these for P. Deiter's comemorative batch, and thus I want them to be as good as I can get them. I will happily fish those that do not stand up to inspection.

Don
    Don Rolfson

You asked...

1. The golden pheasant tippets should line up perfectly. See
    [url=http://rareandunusual.com/major.html:db154]http://rareandunusual.com/major.html[/url:db154]

2. The peacock herl should be square at both ends and equally dense. The rear wrap looks like it thins out as it moves forward.

3. I have not tied this particular fly but to "me" the peacock herl looks too long, i.e. not proportional to the rest of the fly.

4. For presentation, I would flatten the tying thread, smooth out the head and coat it with enough head cement, clear and black to make it smooth as glass.

All in all as a teacher of mine likes to say...it will catch fish.

Thanks classicflytyer.

I will have to work on those things.

I did only get one coat of cement on the head so far. Gotta get one or two more at least.
    Don Rolfson

Well you asked for it LOL.
    The wing is to thin. Use a little more material. I would use calf body hair and stack it or pick up a calftail that has strighter hair on it which will make it easier to stack. I would also wrap the herl on without twisting it around the thread. I would just put a drop of head cement under it and wrap it into that. It will look much better. You can rib the whole body with fine goldwire if you are afraid the herl will come off or break.
    As has been said the tail fibers should line up. And a tip for you is to use a flat 8/0 thread for these flies. Everyone thinks you have to use a larger thread to tie them, you don't and the smaller thread will help keep the head of your fly much smaller. I would also use 5 minute epoxy on the head. It will give it a nice shine and you will not be able to see the thread wraps. Plus it is one coat not several so less time.

I will tie one up later this evening and post a picture of how I think it might look. Be a good break from tying orders. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 03 May 2005).]

Don,
    She looks really good to me. Just a couple things tho...

...you have one too less calf hair strands in the wing. And that head. Man, ya have 2 too many wraps man!!!

I mean c'mon. Otherwise she's about perfect!

)) *VBG*

Jeremy.

Thanks RonMT. I look forward to seeing yours and your added input!

I did use 3 peices of herl that I wrapped the whole body with, I think one got on top of the others. I tried not to wrap them, but probably did. Would it be better to use just one and make many wraps close together?

Even the tail fibers. Got it.

Calf tail for the wing, and stack it. Oh, and more of it.

Smaller and smoother head.

Okay, back to the bench I go.

Jeremy,

two too many wraps on the head? Okay. . .

Thanks guys!

Don
    Don Rolfson

Here is the picture that I said I would post for you. Sorry it isn't better but I do not have a great camera. I used some Polar Bear for the wing just for theheck of it. The tips did not show up well at all. Anyway hope this helps a little. By the way I had 12/0 thread on the bobbin so that is what I used LOL Ron

PS: If you like I can do one with Calftail to?

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 03 May 2005).]

Something I've learned to do that I like is to wrap peacock herl like it's a dry fly hackle, on edge. If you look at the herl, it's like a small hackle, with a convex and concave side. Try taking one herl and wrapping it on edge with the convex side forward, very tight wraps. Another way of looking at this is that the side of the herl with the stem showing prominently goes to the rear. The results are an even, tight, cylinder of herl. Alan the Highlander does this with two hackles, and his herl bodies are like a perfect hedge. Like you could sculpt them.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread