+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I improve?

eaustin- Don't know if you can tell but the one above is done that way. On edge curve forward. Been doing that for many many years. Good way to show the herl off. Ron

Thanks RonMT!

I see you left a bit of the hook eye 'loop' bare. I don't know why, but I was trying not to do that, thus the big head.

Seems that the peacock herl I was using has a funny shaped quill in it. It kept trying to twist on it's own. I did try to do as you and eaustin suggested last night with one and it kept twisting all funny on me. I guess I have to make a trip to the tying supply store for a better winging material and some new herl. Oh well, such is life. Hope I don't find too many other things I 'need'.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Ron,

You have the concave side forward not convex as eaustin described?

Just asking. Does one "look better" than another?

Don- I leave a bit of the hook shank showing not much just a bit so that a person fishing the fly can throw a riffle hitch on it if they need to. I was shown this many years ago. By a very fine tier and it seems to be a good thing to do. At least I have never had a complant from customers for doing it?

classicflytyer- I think you will find if you do it the other way you will get strips were there is no herl do to the quill of the herl. If wrapped like I did it the Quill will lay on top of the one before it leaving the herl to stand up without the opening between wraps. I hope you can unsderstand what I just said? Sometimes it is hard to explan things and easier to show them. Ron

Ron, I did notice and almost alluded to your fly in the post. Should have, I'm sorry. Great looking fly!
    Eric

Very informative everyone. Thanks for asking drolfson.

Classicflytier, first off, Ron's fly looks great so I'm not about to say you can't tie your herl concave side forward. I just tied two sections of herl, one each way, and I personally like the look of the section with the convex side forward better, for ME. It's more solid looking, like a dense hedge, which is the look I want. The other way, concave side forward, you can see more of the hook and the look is a bit more airy. Either way, on edge is a good way to go.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread