+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grayling Fish Hatchery Victory

Default Grayling Fish Hatchery Victory

Some of you who fish or have fished the AuSable River in Michigan may know that the water quality of the river has been threatened for years by a privately operated fish hatchery in Grayling. The hatchery is located in the East Branch of the AuSable and the residue from the operation flowed into the Main Branch of the river and thus into the famous Holy Water. The "Anglers of the AuSable" organization ad others have been fighting to stop the thousands of pounds of fish waste and potential disease flowing into the Main Branch for years. The waste caused an increase in algae bloom as well as a decrease of dissolved oxygen at a minimum. Of course, this could have and may have impacted the health of the river and resultant fish population.

I am happy to inform you that years of legal action and thousands of dollars in legal fees has resulted in the closing of the hatchery effective 31 December of this year. Plans are now being made for the County and the Anglers organization to take over management of the facility and run it as an educational and tourist activity for the region. There are also future plans to divert the flow of the East Branch away from the hatchery, thus allowing fish to migrate up the East Branch as nature meant it to be. Thanks go to numerous volunteers and monetary contributed to finally correct and eliminate this threat to our river.

Hope to see more of you at the MIFI next June/July. Dates will be announced later.
    God Bless America

Thanks for the update on this issue John. Always glad when we get a win! I'm surprised to hear they can decommission the hatcher that quickly. Appreciate you let us all know about the status. Looking forward to next year on the river!
    Last edited by alra195; 10-27-2018 at 12:48 AM.
    Joe Bertolini

JC,
    Admitting I'm not totally familiar with the long running litigation, and only knowing it was a Rusty Gates' (et als') fight for many years, I'm glad it is finally resolved. No "gotcha!" should be celebrated by the victors and should be only considered as a win over divergent philosophies. I'm almost sure the hatchery meant no harm when opened and fought as would be expected when it's mission was challenged. That, all being said, the issue is longer , the "Holy Waters" will live on as baptized some 60+ years ago.
    And as to MIFI 2019, Lord willing, you can count me in. And Yes, God bless America !

Mark

Mark,
    Don't think that was Rusty's fight. His was gas wells along the South Branch as I remember. This came about after his passing when it was determined that the hatchery was not properly using the sediment tanks to capture the excess trout food (pellets). In any case, as you say, it is done and we are two for two. Now we need to figure out what's going on with the reduced trout count on the North Branch. I guess I should have posted this under "Conservation", but I figured it would get more attention under "Sound Off". Hope all have a good winter and look forward to seeing you next summer.
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread