Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
I have plenty of the “right” hooks; the example I saw was tied on a standard length hook so that’s what I used. I ran into a pair of guides fishing on the Madison after work, stripping a similar shorter shanked Stimi thru a Caddis emergence and catching more fish than anyone else; tried it myself with some success but i couldn?t cast as far or as accurately as they could.
As far as grayling go, the ones I fished for seemed to be as selective as bluegills; it was a challenge to find flies (within reason) that they wouldn?t bite on.

Regards,
Scott
I know Lance and Rich very well and have for many years. I also know the story of the TLT... Tangle Lakes are about 25 miles or a little more from Paxson on the Denali highway. We took Denny there to experience huge numbers after he had already caught and released his monster (22+") grayling.

A fellow came into the Tangle Lakes Lodge while Rich was in there looking for a match to his Stimi version. Grayling was the intended target there and they are thick and easy. Rich offered to tie some for him and did. He used the short hooks the original version had. The originals were not well-tied IIRC. Rich tied some for himself and they worked (like everything else will there.) The pattern was published in the AFF fly-tying book and gets covered now... not my favorite "pattern."
art