+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sharpening anvils

Default sharpening anvils

Well as a previous commercial tier scissors where never a problem. The fella I'd tie for would supply me with a new pair when needed. Over the past few years I have quite the collection of dull $20 buck scissors I'd and I am running out. I've stopped the commercial tying as it was taking the fun out of things, atleast momentarily. However I am in need of sharpening them. Any idears? I am running both curved and straight anvils (to many pairs to list, I might disgust myself hehe).

Thanks in advance!

Check with your doctor or hospital and see who re-sharpens their tools.

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

3. Default

As a long time barber, I use a guy out of Montana called custom sharpening. He's in Bozeman. I'd have to look up his fax, and phone though.

$6-10 bucks for a diamond "stone" in Walmart. Slow sure strokes, 5-10 per side.

To be honest I would rather learn to sharpen them myself at this point. Shipping from Fairbanks Alaska, south and back plus the cost of sharpening, I might as well go buy new pairs. I really want to learn to sharpen them.

Bubba,

I have a few stones around, mostly wet stones, something you'd use on a knife. Will these work? Do you only sharpen the smooth blade, not the serrated?

[This message has been edited by Lilhunter007 (edited 05 May 2005).]

If you plan on sharping scissors 1) you need a smooth hard sharping stone 2) get the angle right 3) pratice on old scissors so you can hold the proper angle through the stroke. You need a good stone and a good angle
    Ghost

Lilhunter,

Sharpening such tools is a skill that requires both practice and the proper tools. It's not like sharpening a hunting knife or even a razor.

Check with a barber in your area, and see who does his sharpening. Contact this person, explain your desire to learn to do it, and maybe he will show you how, or at least tell you where to get the information.

You'll likely ruin a few pairs, but if you really want to learn how, you are much better off getting the information from someone who does it for a living.

I'd not touch tool to scissors until I was sure about the process.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:18857]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:18857]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I don't only have smooth blades, but you can get round and even triangular diamond "files". Look in books and shops for lapidary tools, or jewler supplies.

I have a steel based "whitrock" with nickel plating on top to hold the diamonds. My Dr.Slick Razors just take a few strokes to come back to good.

You can use wet stones as long as the mohr number of the stone is higher than your metel temper. Diamonds are a 10, all else is lower.

I put the stone on the edge of a counter, hold the scissors firmly and move along the stone holding the scissors at the same angle. I also check the edge after each couple strokes. BTW....if you keep the scissors open you have a long angle guide in the form of the other blade.

Scissors are easier than knives.

------------------
    bubba_orvis

thanks guys. Most of the local sharpeners wont deal with these scissors specifically. I am afraid to take them to one guy, he'll get them sharp but he'll also rip the serations right off the one side unknowningly. I'll hunt around for a barber scissor sharpener.

+ Reply to Thread