Thread: leather fly wallet

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    Don't use the synthetic stuff unless you want to spend 5 minutes picking lint off your fly when you pull one out (if you can get it out). A quick google search produced this; I'm sure there are others out there.

https://www.sickafus.com/sheepskin/SHSCR.html
    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I have an old leather fly wallet that I picked up somewhere in my travels, complete with flies. My observations are twofold. 1. The flies become "crushed" and flattened, and, 2. the wool material holds the moisture which leads to rusting hooks. I can only imagine what it would do to a beautifully tied deer hair popper. I think that there is a reason we no longer use leather fly wallets ever since fly boxes became available. Just my two cents worth.
    I agree with that, currently I have them in a couple of plastic boxes which work fine but I guess I wanted to make one just for the heck of it, I might end up using it for my trout flies. I use a Polish bread bag as a fly pack and I enjoy the look and feel of vintage stuff so I figured it would go great with my pack. Thanks for the link, I'll get some wool patch from them.

I found out my local leather supplier (not tandy) has some sheep skin and they'll sell me a square foot. I'll show ya'll pix when I'm done with it. Still not sure if I'm going to use it but leather working for me is theraputic, I've got more knife sheaths than I actually need lol.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 09-10-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish