+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAOL THEN AND NOW - Ladyfisher and Neil - Aug 30, 2018

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FAOL THEN AND NOW - Ladyfisher and Neil - Aug 30, 2018

FAOL THEN AND NOW

Early in the year of 1995 The Ladyfisher began to develop an idea for an online fly fishing resource. She laid out the idea on a series of note cards on the floor of her home outside of Poulsbo, Washington where she was living with her late husband Jim Birkholm, aka Castwell. She wanted to offer a service to fly fishers that would provide useful information for the beginner as well as the more advanced angler, it had to be available free to any user with Internet access and the material would be free from advertising content. She anticipated that if she could attract sufficient advertisers, called sponsors, she would be able to support the site and provide an income source for her family. Thus, on September 1, 1995 Fly Anglers Online became a reality with the first issue appearing on the world-wide web.

Thank you for the great contributions you have made to our sport. I have read much of the site over the years. I particularly enjoy the warmwater articles; thank you Mr Z. Ladyfisher; your pioneering efforts in creating this forum are an inspiration; as they have most certainly already inspired others to start writing.

Thanks for all you do and did Ron. It is still a wonderful treasure that Ladyfisher came up with and thanks to Neil for his support as well.
    God Bless America

Many thanks to all involved. I still have my FAOL patch pinned to the board in my "office".

Thank you for making a place for new comers to learn about fly fishing and fly tying. I have enjoyed not just learning things but also meeting some great people. Thanks for making this site.

Hi Dee Dee,
    I think of you quite often, as friends tend to do. When I'm casting over rising fish and they are not taking my offering, I remember what you told me.. smaller fly! It has worked very well so far, I'll give it another 18 years before I decide if it works. *G*

7. Default

Hello, I am back after many years. In 2004 My wife died and I fished ad FOAL ed it through a year. The Ladyfisher and I shared some of the feeling as she lost Castwell a short time later. I have been a casual fisher in my new life with my current wife and since our move away from the waterfront am becoming more in need of returning to fish and tying. The poor close vision and old fingers are a struggle now, but getting better. Very glad you are still here,
    Lauder

I am an on-again-off-again visitor to FOAL as my health allows me to fly-fish. I often feel "at home" here on the forum. I thank all of you that contribute to that.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread