Thanks to all for the replies to the Japanese spin/fly combo cane rod. I wasn't looking for monetary value of the rod , just some info on the company. It very likely WILL break (it's been in storage for a long time from the person I got it from) but I INTEND to fish it anyway; it was made for that. The gent I bought it from was given it by his uncle who was in turn given it as a present from the company he worked for. Neither one of them fished it at all. IT STILL HAD THE PLASTIC ON THE CORK HANDLE!!
The nephew (gent I bought it from) wanted to make sure the person buying it was 'worthy' ; someone who was going to fish it and not hang it up to look at. Loads of folks will say I'm questionable, crazy....worthy? Well.....point is the universe brought the cane rod to me, and I promised the gentleman I'd send him a picture of the first fish I catch with it. It so happens it will be a chub because I'm going to baptize the rod at my home waters (lots of chub and bass).
Now I've stripped this silk line I found, wound in an old bristol reel.I've read Reed Curry's article (here on this site..thanks FAOL!) but wondering if anyone else has a different method for re-varnishing/coating a silk line.
IDEALLY, the simpler..the better,not that I'm not prepared to do some work, but if there happens to be a simpler,friendlier way...I'm all ears.
I'm NOT handy, so the idea of buying cans of varnish, tung oil, linseed, turpentine.....My mother-in-law's soup SOMETIMES tastes like turpentine....
I love olive oil...will that work!!?HA!

Anyways, eager to hear what ye all have to say.

Cheers,
Larry of the bad luck variety