+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching without useing the word 'Casting'

Just curious as to what would be a sentence , statement, containing "the wrong thing"? Unlike Chemistry or Physics etc.,manipulating, throwing, projecting, casting a fly rod/ line is best taught to students by demonstration and hands on practice. If language becomes a problem, perhaps too much is made of the effort.

Mark

Students hear what you say, they cannot hear what you under stand when you say the word "casting" thus they respond with their own understanding and interpretation of the word 'casting". To most students 'casting' in their understanding is a single hard forward thrusting motion as with a spinning rod or rods of the like. Casting moves don't translate well with a fly rod in hand of the wrong frame of reference, the hand follows what the mind prescribes.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Paul,
    Perhaps I'm "gifted" but no one ever "told" me how to cast. Well, maybe Lefty Kreh who told me to place a book between my casting elbow and rib cage while manipulating the rod . I more or LESS maintain that style till today. It also looks cool :>)

Mark

Even Lefty came around to my way of thinking in that he in his later years learned to advise students, you don't "cast" a fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just curious as to what would be a sentence , statement, containing "the wrong thing"? Unlike Chemistry or Physics etc.,manipulating, throwing, projecting, casting a fly rod/ line is best taught to students by demonstration and hands on practice. If language becomes a problem, perhaps too much is made of the effort.

Mark
    I'm going to draw the line, form, shape and aim the loop." That is one example. Changes are of course made as we talk further about manipulation and yes Physics. Students learn on many different levels and in many different ways. Instructors should strive to be more in tune with their students.

All of this reminds me of the feminist I heard recently who does not want to refer to a female as HER because it is HE with and R. Far out thinking Capt. Paul, but if it works for you, go for it. It will always be casting to me and I usually get the fly where it needs to be with little effort. Good thing I am not an instructor who has to worry about the mental interruptions of an uncoordinated student who cannot visualize right from wrong.
    God Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    All of this reminds me of the feminist I heard recently who does not want to refer to a female as HER because it is HE with and R. Far out thinking Capt. Paul, but if it works for you, go for it. It will always be casting to me and I usually get the fly where it needs to be with little effort. Good thing I am not an instructor who has to worry about the mental interruptions of an uncoordinated student who cannot visualize right from wrong.
    It isn't about me, I'm the instructor who had to figure it out. It works for the students, Instructors seem to have a hard time accepting that the students do get it, I understand. It's very difficult at first to teach with out employing the word casting, but my students convinced me it is the shortest route to their understanding.
    Last edited by qrrfish1; 08-01-2018 at 06:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread