+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms Freestone Boots

Hybrid View

Default Simms Freestone Boots

As you can see, my boots are reaching their useful stream fishing life (the only thing holding the Vibram sole on the boot are the Kold Kutter studs). I'm in the process of ordering another pair of the Freestones (none of the local fly shops carry them) and was wondering if anyone has bought them in the past few years and in what size? I'm seeing recommendations to go one size up - when I bought this pair 6 years ago I went up 2 (a size 12 for my size 10 feet), and am curious if Simms has re-sized their line. I always wear liner socks/smart wools in addition to waders, or under neoprene socks if I'm wet-wading and the extra size is needed; nothing worse than tight boots in 35 degree water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Scott,

I bought a pair of Simms Vapor boots, the crossover hiking/wading boots, a few months ago. I normally wear a size 9 athletic shoe and bought these boots in a size 9. I wear a light-medium pair of socks and neoprene guard socks in the boots and they fit perfectly. They also fit well with regular stocking foot waders and the medium weight socks and keep me comfortable in 45-50 degree water.

So, for cold water use, I think I would only go up one size. I assume that the boot I have is sized the same as the Freestone.

Regards,
    Ted

I've used one size larger than street shoes with Simms boots. That's been plenty big for neoprene wader booties with heavy socks and liner socks in the winter. It's actually a little loose, but ok for wet wading in the summer with lighter socks and neoprene guard booties. This has been with the old style G3s and with some very old RiverTek boots.

Scott,
    I'm currently using the Simms Freestone felt sole boot (also using Simms waders). I bought them in May of 2016. I wear a size 11 shoe and I ordered a size 12 wading boot and with just the wader bootie inside they are quite comfortable, not tight at all. If I were to add some additional insulator type socks I think I might go up an additional size. Hope that helps.

Those look like they are just getting broke in good

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Those look like they are just getting broke in good
    I think BROKE OUT is a better term.
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread