+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using tippet rings?

Default Anyone using tippet rings?

If so, what knots are you using?
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Clinch knot with mono - improved clinch with flourocarbon.

Palomar knot from main leader to tippet ring. Becker (Orvis) Knot from tippet to ring.

I use both rings and micro-swivels with an improved clinch knot.

Using 4mm soldered round, 2.6mm inside diameter, 22 gauge rings, I can loop connect with 4-6x tippet material. My typical loops are tied with double surgeons knot. I suspect tippet size is governed by I.D. of tippet ring.

BTW I recently have noticed that whenever I must break free my snagged tippet, the break is usually within 2-3" of the connecting loop. Tippet material is mono and not fluorocarbon. Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by fritz; 07-02-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added comment

I use tippet rings on just about all my leaders now. On some leaders I use two rings. I use mono on dry fly leaders and fluorocarbon on nymph leaders. In both cases, I use an improved clinch knot to tie to the ring. An improved clinch knot to a tippet ring should be about 90% strength. Joining tippet with a surgeon's knot is about 70% strength.

Use micro-swivels but same idea. Pitzen knots both sides, but there's no reason to change whatever you typically use for a terminal knot.

I use a Davy knot to tie on the fly - or a Double Davy for large flies - and while the knot works just fine it somehow didn't seem like enough knot for the rings. I guess that's kind of silly if I trust it for the fly, but adding two more of them seemed kinda scary. Being terribly lazy I normally don't even use a tippet; I just keep using the leader until it gets too short or too fat , which is dumb and I need to change that. Back when I did change tippets I used the Orvis tippet knot which I remember as being kind of a pain to tie.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I use an improved clinch knot then a drop of super glue (if I make my leaders at home). If I am on the water then just the improved clinch knot. I am using steelhead size tippet rings, they are a little bigger but work real good.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    I use both rings and micro-swivels with an improved clinch knot.

where do you locate your swivel? tippet to leader, leader to fly line? thanks

+ Reply to Thread