+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good tip

Default Good tip

I learned a new trick for me, so I thought I would pass it on.
    Carrying Insect Repellent

Here's a convenient way to carry and apply bug dope: saturate a square of cloth about the size of a handkerchief with repellent, fold it to fit a pocket, and place it in a sealed Zip-Loc bag so it can't evaporate.
    I liked it--John
    Fish like predator.

Hi John,

Sounds like a good idea. Any problems with the bug dope "eating up" the plastic bag? I can cause trouble with fly lines. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:8e433]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:8e433]

I use Repel brand permanone. This is a synthetic permethrin made from chrysanthemums. When applied to chothing it repels bugs for 2 weeks even through washings. I use it on the brim of my hat and the knats don't even bother me.

tom

Believe it or not, there's an advantage to suffering chronic allergies. I used to take zyrtec daily, and discovered that while the rest of my family was being eaten alive with mosquitoes, I would be completely itch free. For awhile I thought the bugs weren't biting me, but then I caught one in the act and realized that the anti-histamine was just killing the bite immediately before I'd ever felt it. I've since switched to OTC generic Claritin (for cost reasons) and find that it is almost as effective as the zyrtec in this regard.

As a result, I almost never use insect repellent unless there's a swarm. Of course, I assume that leaves me vulnerable to West Nile virus, but so far so good. I guess I've been lucky.

+ Reply to Thread