Thread: New PB Fly Rod Carp

Threaded View

Default New PB Fly Rod Carp

A buddy and I flyfished a couple ponds yesterday afternoon. We caught bluegills and crappies at both, and I also caught 2 or 3 bass at the first one.
    Biggest crappie I measured was 11.5".

After the 2nd pond, my buddy went home, I tried another pond...got SKUNKED.
    Went by 2 other ponds that already had anglers fishing, so I kept driving. Tried one more pond (did I mention there are over 20 public ponds in my town?). Fished for crappies/bluegills, but was blocked by this:

33"... I just achieved one of my goals for the year of catching a 10th Iowa Master Angler species on the fly rod. Gold Award! The current DNR Master Angler program was started in 2011. You achieve the Silver Award once you catch Master Angler-sized fish of 5 different species, and the Gold Award once you catch a Master Angler-sized fish of 10 different species. So far there are only 20 people in Iowa that have achieved the Gold Award distinction...I'll be #21. I suspect I may be the first one who has done it entirely with a fly rod! :headbang: How cool is that?

Based on length and approximate girth measurements and plugging those into a formula....I calculated the weight of this carp to be @ 18.5 lbs. For the first several minutes it was sluggish like it didn't know it was hooked. Then it took off! Long battle, probably around 20 minutes or so. Was so happy (and worn out) to finally land it! Beautiful fish!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 04-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO