+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jigs as ?Flies??

Definition I found online:

?Jigging is the practice of fishing with a jig, a type of fishing lure. A jig consists of a lead sinker with a hook molded into it and usually covered by a soft body to attract fish. Jigs are intended to create a jerky, vertical motion, as opposed to spinnerbaits which move through the water horizontally.?
    I'm sure that definition would vary somewhat depending on where you find it. But by that definition, the flies I tie on jig hooks are not jigs because I don't fish them in a vertical motion. I would also guess the first tyer who used synthetic materials was scoffed at, too. I don't see that what type of hook you tie your imitation on makes it a "fly" or not.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Rainbow,
    Sorry, I didn?t ask about jigs relative to their legality. Rather, it was whether it is/should be mainstream of fly fishing.
    Just speaking for myself, only, I get pleasure in fly fishing versus other forms; I.e., bait, spinning, etc because I think it is much more sporting.
    It's pretty obvious to me that your definition and opinion of jig flies is in the minority and not well accepted. As you stated, "sporting" to you, may be different for some of the members of this site. Think about it.
    God Bless America

I always figure the mainstream of fly fishing is where I'm standing. The guy in that other creek may disagree or he may be smart enough to know I'm right. Either way it's none of my business unless he's poaching or damaging the habitat.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

As I think I said, when I first put a spinning rod away, and started fly fishing, in the 70?s, we often used Maribou jigs. I?ve also seen guys with minnows or worms using a fly rod. Quite effective
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.

When someone said.. Huuummmm.. How can i setup a drop shot rig in a legal manner where I live.... Quite awesomely drop shot with fly is legal here.. But I still just tie on a beadhead n slay em lol
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

Way to go Bill

+ Reply to Thread