Stopped at a surplus store I have been to many times, but not for a long time, until a couple of weeks ago.
There was a section in the back part of the building where people set up to sell what ever they have from food to socks to "t" shirts, belt buckle, computers - you name it. One booth had some fishing poles out front so I went in to look around. A lot lures for spin fishing and bait casting and trolling. Nothing too exciting until l saw a box about 18 in. by 18 in. by 10 inches deep. It was full of packages of hooks. I started to look through them thinking I might find something you could tie a fly on. Right away I realized that these were all good quality fly tying hooks but without labels. They came in packages of 25's or 50's. I had to check with the guy selling if the price on them was correct. He said it was - they were all marked .49 cents each.
I spent about 45 minutes going through the box pulling out packs of hooks that I knew I would use. Found 75 packages that I bought (approx. 2000 hooks). I also found a Sunrise HYD Tyemaster vice (entry level vice made in India). At $5.00 it was going home with the hooks. Then I found some Rapala Finesse 4lb. test fishing line that is only one 1thousands of an inch larger than my 6X Orvis mirage tippet material which I use a lot for clients. There were two spools left. Each spool held 360 yards. What could I do but take them both for $1.99 each. Compare that to the Mirage at $11.99 for 35 yards.

Total - less than $55.00
It was a good day for just stopping in to look.