Thread: Strike Indicators

Threaded View

I use different indicators for different situations:

a. For Small Stream or shallow water on bigger rivers, I use a Dry Fly and Dropper setup. An example would be a size 12 Adams and size 14 Bead Head Pheasant Tail, or
    size 12 Elk Hair Caddis and size 14 olive Bead Head caddis larvae, or size 14 Griffith's Gnat and size 18 Bead Head Zebra Midge.
    The length between the Dry Flly and Bead Head is from 1 foot to 2 feet.

b. For bigger rivers, I use a New Zealand yarn indicator system, but substitute Para-Post Wing material for the wool. I set up the leader with a 4 ft - 6 ft length of 4X,
    then attach 24 in. of 4X - 6X with a 4 in. dropper inserted in the middle of the 24 in. section. A split shot is attached above the knot connecting the 4X to the tippet.
    I put the New Zealand yarn indicator on the 4 ft - 6 ft length of 4X above the tippet.

c. For a Lake down to 2 feet or if the fish are up close to the surface, I'll use a Dry and Dropper as in (a) above.

d. For a Lake down to 10 feet, I'll use the New Zealand yarn indicator system as in (b), but use Bead Head flies. I use the same leader in (b) but lengthen the
    distance between the flies to 3 ft. This allows me to fish different depths at the same time, by adjusting the indicator. An example would be first fly at 1 ft from
    the surface and the other at 4 ft, or first fly at 4 ft and the other at 7 ft.

Bottom line, I use different indicators for different conditions. I'm still learning the Euro method and hope it will be included in my bag of tricks.

Vinny
    Last edited by Vinny; 04-14-2018 at 12:53 AM.