+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DOES PRICE MATTER? - Neil - Mar 30 2018

Blog Entries

Default DOES PRICE MATTER? - Neil - Mar 30 2018

DOES PRICE MATTER?
    I always enjoy scanning the threads that are posted on the FAOL bulletin board. It provides me with a sense of what is on the minds of our readers. There are several reoccurring themes; mostly ones that really do not have an answer that will satisfy everyone. One of those themes involves fly rods; are more expensive rods worth the cost. These discussions take me back nearly 50 years to when I first started conducting fly fishing clinics with the late JC.

25 years ago I could tell the difference between the best Sage, Winston, etc and a generic entry level rod.. In the last 18 months I have shopped for 2 separate 4 or 5 wt rods and 3 other 8 wts. I cast dozens of 8 wts, including Sage, Scott, Winston, TFO and others. There are some obvious differences in price levels based on hardware, cosmetics, and handles; but all are functional. And for me, some of the less expensive rods (TFO especially) cast really well and had excellent guarantees. I even found a two piece 8 wt at Bass Pro for $40 (sale) that is now my favorite rod if I don't have to travel with a short tube. Both Redington and TFO have honored their excellent guarantees. While some of the cheaper rods are clubs, there are some that are great feel and castability; just need to shop enough. Question; does anyone have a comment on Piscafun reels? I wonder about smoothness and durability.

Personally, no.

For example....Anybody out there could pick up a $39 Cabelas Three Forks 8' 4wt 4pc rod and fish their way across the country. Any cast they were not able to make or fish they were not able to land along the way, that was within the realm of a 4wt rod, would not be the fault of the fly rod.

Could you get a little faster with some high-end graphite, or slower with some custom glass, or prettier with some higher end accouterments? Sure. But is that "needed"?

In reality, anything over $50 when it comes to a fly rod, is vanity or pure personal desire. Myself included.

But that's OK too.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 04-18-2018 at 11:02 PM.

The cost vs that much better performance do not correspond. But there is certainly the prestige factor. Same for the fly reels. Maybe 30 years ago I picked up a click & pawl metal stamped reel for something like $38.00 - been a good reel and we've caught a lot of fish together. Also have a machined reel, no doubt a better reel, that I like, too, and the price was something like $250.00 - and so is the later worth more then six times as much the first mentioned? No ... (Unless, of course, that's what you want).

And the debate goes on.

Indeed the debate goes on and will go on as long as there are fly rod manufacturers and people to buy them. Debate is good when it can be done without rancor and name calling.

Today I think rods are getting out of had in price. I like nice gear and don't mind paying for it but when rods go over $1500 with the exchange rate I cannot justify that. I do have some sage rods that I really like and have a number of high end reels that I truly like. Some from 15 years ago because they never wear out. Performance aside it is nice to be proud of your gear.

One of my friends worked for Orvis for years, so he could get discounts on stuff (like a lot of the guys he knew there) and on one trip for false albacore in NC he brought along some of the latest rods to try out. They were being touted for their light weight/fast action which would allow a good caster to throw the whole line with minimum effort (at a cost that reflected all the engineering advances); ended up busting 3 of them on fish that were not of epic proportions. Meanwhile, none the older rods, a combo of Sage and Orvis, had any issues and a lot of fish were boated. The new graphite may have made for exceptional casting (I couldn't tell the difference, but I'm a mediocre caster) but it was pretty gutless when it came to fighting fish.
    Thanks to Sage's rod repair warranties, I haven't had to buy any new rods in years and as long as they keep the parts in stock for my RPL's, I won't have to.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

At some point sure, it is about prestige, but also at some point it is about better hardware and better blanks. I don't spend a grand on a rod, but for those that do and their kids aren't skipping meals because of it - good for you.

Personally I like to find last year's, or two year's ago rods that were moderately priced and buy them at deeply discounted prices. I own and fish some $700+ sticks, but I sure didn't pay that for them. I like nice equipment. Many people that see me fishing, don't know what the equipment costs, but I still like to know that it isn't my equipment that's holding me back in any way. When I'm on the water, it's not the reel, it's not the rod or line or fly - it's all personal responsibility to make it happen or not make it happen.

Would I catch more fish with a $2K stick? No, but I don't want to fish with a $30 rod. It's cool that we live in America and can have differences of opinions on many subjects and that the hobby is large enough to tolerate our differences. Go make YOURSELF happy and go fish.

Clay,
    You are absolutely correct. Go make yourself happy and go fish. If you like expensive rods buy them, just remember that most of the hype is exactly that - hype. It's not the rod that makes the angler, it's the angler that makes the rod.

The Chronicler

+ Reply to Thread