+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asher Stackers!

Hybrid View

Default Asher Stackers!

Asher Stacker midges, size 22. I apologize for the bad lighting and the errant hair on the left side.

20180308AsherStackers.JPG

Great idea to use the hackle-stacker method for those small midges. Dos that technique make it easier to tie small flies?

Size 22!!!! My Heavens, my eyes go to size 18, maybe!
    Nice looking AllenOK!!
    Mike

Thanks guys.

I've only tied one or two other patterns this small. I do not really consider myself an expert at tying any style of dry fly, especially something this small, so I can't really answer your question, lastchance.

I will say that as usual, I started teaching myself the pattern by tying some larger ones, size 16, until I felt comfortable enough to move down to 18's, then 20's, ending at the 22's. I have some TMC 101's in size 26, but just did not feel comfortable going that insanely small. I had to change out how I was tying the pattern at first. One video I watched had the core for the hackle stacker being a loop of tippet; I tried with 4 lbs test mono on the my first 16. I actually tied a few that way, but either the hackle broke, or the flashabou I used at tinsel broke, so I cut them off. Then I caught a video by the same person showing some tips for tying hackle stackers, using loops of tying thread for the core. I felt more comfortable with that. As I went to smaller sizes, I started cutting back on how many loops of thread I used for the core. By the time I got down to the 22's, I was only using one loop of thread.

One thing I started doing, instead of starting the loop at the bend of the hook, I started just after I cut off the tag end of the thread. Also, instead of wrapping thread around the base of the loop to close it off (like a dubbing loop), I just twisted the loop to cord it up a bit, then started wrapping back to the bend, wrapping over the loop as I went back. That really helped.

I have around a dozen or so flies of this pattern ready to fish, sizes 16 - 22. I probably tied twice that many, but ended up cutting a bunch off the hook when the hackle broke. What's really odd, though, is that when I did the 22's, I got the first three done without any breaks, and decided to call it there. Either I was finally starting to truly get a feel for the pattern, or I was relaxed enough to do it. Maybe the beer I drank before I tied them helped with that

+ Reply to Thread