+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soft hackle pheasant tails

Hybrid View

Default Soft hackle pheasant tails

Hi folks,

I tied a few soft hackle bead headed pheasant tail nymphs. Does anyone want to try them out? PM me your address and I'll mail them to you. They are not professional grade but I use them all the time in New York state and they work well. They are size 18 with a tungsten bead. I tried to attach a pic. Not sure if it worked.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a taker.

Nice ties there Jim. Getting ready for soft water?
    Mike

Thanks. Yep, these are my go-to flies in both northern and southern NY when there is no dry fly action.

I'm counting on soft hackles to work for me this summer, and have bee tying them all winter. I've never caught a fish on a soft hackle and I think its about time. I'm liking the spider patterns best, tied in 12's and 14's, and using Guinea for hackle.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I do very well on them here in the east. Sometimes I'll hang one off a big stonefly or wooly bugger. Also very effective. I like the pheasant tail or hare's ear in 14-18.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I'm counting on soft hackles to work for me this summer, and have bee tying them all winter. I've never caught a fish on a soft hackle and I think its about time. I'm liking the spider patterns best, tied in 12's and 14's, and using Guinea for hackle.
    I use a ton of soft hackles... hundreds per year... I give away a lot of flies!

While guinea is one of my favorite materials (I literally have a BIG tote of guinea skins... 50??? No, more...) it would not be a favored soft hackle... many smaller birds have really nice smaller markings that really work well.

Up front, I admit it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian. If you like them and trust them you will fish them with confidence and they will produce! But consider quails, grouse, starling, and such for some finer markings that will really look good and IME&O fish really well.

+ Reply to Thread