+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HMH TVR sighting

Hybrid View

Default HMH TVR sighting

Okay, finally saw the HMH TVR vise in person and for sale. This was at the NH Fly Fishing Show, Saturday. The vise is, to me, impressive and seems well done. I'm no expert by any means! There was no bobbin holder or material clip and I didn't think to ask until I was halfway home. The "regular" version is $490, the "presentation" version, with a shiny brass base, is $680. I almost got one, but without tying on it, even with my limited skills, is needed before I plunk down hard money. You can cll HMH to order one. If you do, let me know how you like it!
    Mike

Melk,

I fell for the seduction of a new vise at the Edison show, and a "regular" version of the TRV came home with me. Generally speaking, I am very pleased with the vise after putting about 6 dozen flies through it. I tie trout flies almost exclusively, with most sized between 14 and 20. I am generally very pleased with the performance of the vise. It is a very stable platform to tie upon, the jaws hold very well, and the angle of the jaw holds from the bottom of the hook, and really gets out of the way of the rear of the hook leaving lots of room to work on the tail, or otherwise on the rear of the hook.

I was coming off of a stainless steel Regal Medallion, which in my opinion is the ultimate trout fly vise. I have a small collection of quality vise's, and this one fits in nicely with the collection. It is amazing what catches our eye, and extracts our dollars.

Thanks SRT, I still have my original HMH Spartan, a Renzetti Traveler that I use in classes and my Renzetti Master for home. Still think I need a new vise someday! A friend of mine just got the Stonflo Transformer, the one with 3 interchangeable heads. So far the verdict has been positive on that one.
    Did you get, is there, a bobbin holder or material clip for the TVR?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Did you get, is there, a bobbin holder or material clip for the TVR?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Melk,

No the Vise did not come with a bobbin holder, nor a material clip. The bobbin holder isn't missed, the material clip can be useful.

HUH, for the price I would expect at least the material clip. Well, not in the immediate future anyway.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

I also tie on a HMH Spartan, I've had it for the last 16 years and no complaints. One of the guys in my tying group just got the TVR and brought it to one of our tying nights to let people play with it. I really liked it. With the same jaw style as the LAW vise, it's going to be a winner when it comes to access and hook holding power.

Alberto

+ Reply to Thread