+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly thread....is is the same as sewing thread?

Default Fly thread....is is the same as sewing thread?

I'm starting to get into fly tying.
    I've just ordered my first batch of materials including a few different threads.
    What I would like to know is what is the difference between fly tying thread and regular sewing thread? Can you use sewing thread to tie a fly?

Your going to get a bunch of answers on this one.
    Mine is,Yes you can.On the other hand,sewing thread is cotton,has no pull strength compared to the awsome threads fly tyers buy,and although you could get it in any color imaginable,it would rot away in a year or less if you got it wet.
    Thread is like,so cheap,just get the right stuff,you will be amazed. CJ

You can purchase many types of sewing thread.
    [url=http://www.nationalthread.com/:0bb1a]http://www.nationalthread.com/[/url:0bb1a]
    [url=http://www.teonline.com/fibers-yarns-threads/nylon-thread.html:0bb1a]http://www.teonline.com/fibers-yarns-threads/nylon-thread.html[/url:0bb1a]

I am certain some of the examples above are equivalent to fly tying thread and would be suitable.

Regards,
    FK

Harry, my answer is a qualified yes. Sewing thread comes in many flavors including rayon, nylon, polyester, cotton, and blends of these.

"Standard" sewing machine thread is quite a bit larger in diameter than the 6/0 or 8/0 thread commonly used for tying flies. So it wouldn't be easy tying small flies. I have used various nylon and rayon threads as body material and ribbing. It might be useful for larger flies as tying thread, but I personally haven't used it that way.

You can find sewing threads in somewhat smaller diameters at specialty fabric stores. Serger thread, bobbin thread, and "extra-fine" are all a little smaller diameter.

I've never seen a sewing thread designated light Cahill, though.

Good luck!

Jim

For what its worth, I know a guy who runs a commercial fly tying business - they do 30,000 - 40,000 flies a month for various retailers. Anyway, I know at least occasionally he sends regular sewing thread to their factories.

I believe that most tying threads are waxed vs. regular sewing thread. Hook & Hackle has an assortment of #8 Uni cheap! I like it as it reduces thread buildup and is strong. Threads are fun!! Good luck!

------------------
    Cactus

Hi

I had no choice in the matter for quite a while, so I would have to say yes as well.
    Compared to the tying threads I have now, the sewing thread is just as strong.
    Colours and price is a big bonus, thread build-up on smaller hooks is the downside.
    My most successfull panfish (and the occasional carp) fly is made from nothing more than dayglo green or orange sewing thread, red wool or flash for a tail and superglue to keep the lot together. I slip on a glass bead, tie a conical body (like a popper) with glue between the layers. Final step, believe it or not is crushing the bead...
    The success of that fly means I'll never not have sewing thread close to hand.

Cheers

Hi AfrFFer,

Necessity is the mother of invention, eh? Your fly sounds unique and interesting. Is it possible to post a picture?

Jim

I use polyester sewing thread on flies size 10 and larger. It is good for building bodies quickly, and for ribbing. When I started tying a year ago there were several spools in the house and I am glad I tried them.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Before there was a fly tying industry, anglers would take some feathers from the bird that was now cooking in the pot, with some thread that they pinched from their wife's sewing basket, to tie flies.

Thread is thread is thread! Saying that, there is also the required statement that says, not all thread is created equal. Some are better than others for various situations. Thread is the 2nd most important material for creating a fly, only preceded in importance, by the Hook.

Here is my Thesis, that I wrote in "Tying Tips" about Thread. Just about all the information, you will ever need to know about thread, is there....

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html:af662]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html[/url:af662]

~ Parnelli

"Down in the bottom of the Itty Bitty Pool.
    Swam Three Little Fishies, and a Mommy Fishy too.
    "Swim", said the Mommy Fishy, Swim if you can.
    And they, swam swam, all over the Dam!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 20 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread