+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fake corn for carp ( "

Don't know much about carp fishing, I have caught a few grass carp on flies. I read that an application of tomato juice to your fly would attract grass carp have no idea about common carp. Just a thought.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

we have some here in the parks and the Bronx River. Maybe I'll target some this season. Common carp require stealth, accuracy, and patience. learn to move slowly, wear polarized sunglasses and earth tone clothing. however, if they are spooked from a feeding area, all is not lost. many times they will return if you sit close to the ground and be patient enough to wait about an hour. the exception to this is when they are so badly spooked that they release fear hormones as they exit. In which case go to see a new film!

I have probably caught most on a crayfish fly, but have caught them on quite a few different flies, the trick is to find actively feeding fish and getting you fly on their nose without scaring them . Sometimes that combination of things is hard to pull off. Carp are the definition of non aggressive feeders. I don't actively fish for them so I am certainly not an expert but I take my shots when I get them usually when fishing for other warm water fish

Bill,
    I know you use semi-automatic fly reels and I have read your latest update on the various reels available. I noticed a new one recently from China. Maxcatch seems to be trying to fill in the blanks on just about anything related to flyfishing. I have a couple of their rods, and they are not bad. Check out their automatic fly reel on maxcatchfishing.com. Appears to be signficantly less expensive than the other reels as you might expect. I have caught a few carp but I need to spend more time trying for them. The ones I have caught are definitely among the most powerful fish I have managed to hook.

Larry

After investigation, I found that the Asian semi automatic fly reel does not hold more than 5 wt fly line. now I could catch fish with it but I like carp. Sometimes I will push the Franco Vivarelli graphite. It is fragile but can take carp when handled correctly. I recommend the ATP 37 graphite for carp and big fish. It takes 7 wt line has 8 drag settings and costs less than $200.00. unlike the Vivarelli, the ATP 37 drag can be adjusted while the fish is on the line

My favorite fly for carp is a #8 bead head prince nymph. The key is to find them feeding in the shallows with their tails down and their heads up or locating mud puffs in the flats. If you can find them doing that, it's magic although they spook so easily. Sometimes I'll throw to over 20 feeders before I manage the perfect presentation and get a take. More times than not, they spook because the fly line hit their back or the fly can down too hard too close to their head, or they saw me before I saw them. And their pickiness for a particular fly pattern can put a trout to shame.

Oops! I meant heads down and tails up, not the other way around!

+ Reply to Thread