+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rotory hackle pliers?

Default rotory hackle pliers?

I'm intersted in purchasing a pair of rotory hackle pliers. What is your brand of choice and why? Are there some that I shouldn't even consider? Do they come in different sizes?

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

[url=http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/hkpl-2.JPG:2becd]http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/hkpl-2.JPG[/url:2becd]
    I think the preferred ones are from Griffin, although I don't feel the need of them with a rotary vise.

I have the Orvis and think they are great. You're going to wonder how you ever got along with out them...

I like the Griffin the best as they have the best material on the tips to hold the hackle. I have two pair of them and one pair of the others and the rubber on the tips of the others do not hold the hackle as well.

Were they really come in handy is for small flies that you are hackling. They keep you away from your work so that you are not cramped. I have used many other types of hackle pliers over the years and still use one other at times. But for small flies you can beat the Griffin Rotary. You will find that even with a rotatry vise they help out. They also work fine with larger flies it is just that I find they do wonders with the little flies. Ron

The rotary are great for tying parachutes.

GRIFFIN....is all you need to know in tying tools...mine sure work perfectly with my GRIFFIN Odessey Rotoray vice
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The first time you use rotary hackle pliers for tying parachute hackle, you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.

Thanks to all for the replies.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

AlanB Guest

Hi,

I have yet to find a hackle plier I would describe as good. However the best I have ever used have two featurers in common. They have a swivel and spring. Many have one or the other but I find both better. Mine came from Jan Sieman but there are other makes with both.

Alan

While not a true rotary, I made mine. A simple piece of thin spring steel looped around and held with a single rivet near the jaws. I can put my finger in the loop, and it spins around my finger as I palemer the hackle. But I am a cheapskate though.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

+ Reply to Thread