+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Suggestions

Hybrid View

Default Reel Suggestions

Hi. I'm looking for reel recommendation on a couple of rods I picked up recently. I'm going to the fly fishing show tomorrow in Edison NJ. I recently picked up a Thomas & Thomas 3-piece Paradigm rod; 9' #5, made in February of 1998 and an Orvis HLS 8' 6" #3. Any thoughts on a couple of reels?

Thanks!
    Jim
    Last edited by jcotrel1; 01-27-2018 at 09:03 PM.

You could get an endless number of recommendations on this, but in my view, I'd just buy something you can afford and like the looks of and leave it at that. I've spent a fair amount of money on higher end reels over the years that I thought I needed and, if I'm honest about it, I could have bought much cheaper reels and been just fine. When it comes to 3 weight and 5 weight rods, I literally couldn't tell you the last time (if ever) that I fought a fish "off the reel" and needed a high end drag, etc., in spite of the fact that some of those fish (with the 5 wt. at least) have been very large. Lots of folks are fond of saying that the reel is just basically a line holder and at most trout weights, I think that's generally true.

Probably the best gear advice I've ever received. Thank you! I did pick up a nice reel for the #3 today. A Waterworks Lamson Guru II. Working with The Hungry Trout Fly Shop outside of Lake Placid NY on a reel for the #5. The owner is a very nice guy and I'd rather give my money to him than the New York City Orvis store.

You also might want to check out sierratradingpost.com They have some nice reels on sale that would work nicely as well. https://www.sierratradingpost.com/la...=s~fly-reel%2F

Jim Smith

I like your idea of supporting the small fly shop in your area. I know first hand how hard it is to compete with the "big boys" and online. Generally the money stays local.

I use these reels:

(Top) Winston 9', 5wt. WT / Tibor Tailwater CL Reel

(Bottom) Thomas & Thomas Paradigm 9', 5wt. / Tibor Tailwater Reel (not CL)

The Tibor Spring Creek CL is for 3-4wt. lines:

https://www.tiborreel.com/tibor-light/

The above photo was taken in September, on the Firehole River...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Prairieschooner,

I also resisted the Large Arbor reels for a while until I finally broke down and bought one. Now that is all I have on all virtually all of my rods. I love them.

I fish mostly from drift boats and I seldom use my reel when fighting a fish. I just strip the line in and release the fish. But, when I want to switch rods or after I have made a really long cast to hit a particular target, that large arbor sure picks up the line quickly. Like half the time. Well worth it. Also, there is less coiling of the line, at least the coils are in bigger loops rather than tight circles.

Have fun out there and get some fishing in this year.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by jcotrel1 View Post

Hi. I'm looking for reel recommendation on a couple of rods I picked up recently. I'm going to the fly fishing show tomorrow in Edison NJ. I recently picked up a Thomas & Thomas 3-piece Paradigm rod; 9' #5, made in February of 1998 and an Orvis HLS 8' 6" #3. Any thoughts on a couple of reels?

Thanks!
    Jim

Hey, you picked up a Thomas to fish in Edison. You know, Thomas Edison!

I suggest that you consider Piscifun reels. These reels are of the highest quality at a fraction of the price of the best known reels.

Larry, I have a 9wt rod with a large arbor reel on it and I know all the things you say are true. And I know it's not really a good reason, but I just don't like the way they look. Also, I can't cast far enough to worry about picking up line faster .
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread