+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lafontaine?s Double Magic Technique

Default Lafontaine?s Double Magic Technique

Does anybody use this when tying their nymphs with peacock or pheasant tail bodies? For those not familiar with it, he tied on his peacock herl or pheasant tail for the body, created a loop with thread or wire, and then touch dubbed the loop with Antron touch dubbing, usually orange, before twisting the peacock or pheasant tail in it. It creates a shiny halo effect around the body. It does look good and was curious as to who has experience with it.

Joe

Darn it, the bad thing about tying over the winter is that by the time summer comes, you forgot what you did. I tied some with this method several years ago, and don't know what happened to them. They looked cool.

I tie and fish the beadhead peacock twist nymph. I like it tied in orange, yellow, brown, black, purple and pink. Obviously you can tie it in any color you like. I don't care for the ostrich version much. Mine always come out all matted up. I still have not tied or fished the pheasant tail version yet.

I have used this technique for many years on the majority of my nymphs and or emergers that use peacock herl bodies or thorax only. Gary was always so sold on the vertues of this technique. He always encouraged me to experiment with antron in any and all ways.

I know he said that there were magical properties in both peacock and antron. Why not put them together?

Joe

Hi Joe, What are you using for touch dubbing? Lafontaine Sparkle Yarn, Antron dubbing?

Jim

Jim,

Several years ago I ordered Lafontaine’s sparkle yarn and his touch dubbing from the Bookmailer.

Joe

Found this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCnA0gcthw
    If you just want to see the technique, go to the 6:30 min mark. Thanks for the shove in the right direction.

+ Reply to Thread