+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Building Wrapping Thread

Default Rod Building Wrapping Thread

I am wondering if anyone has wrapping thread, for rod building. I am getting started and looking for size A. Wanting to get a wide spectrum of colors.
    Thank You
    John

John,

There are lots of places to get thread for rod wrapping. I have built up my stock of threads from buying at various places across the internet.
    Most graphite builders use nylon thread while most of those that are wrapping bamboo rods use silk thread.
    But that's not a hard and fast rule. You can use either thread on whatever type of blank you are wrapping.
    Size A nylon is a pretty good thread for beginners. It's small but not too small.

When you put finish on your thread wraps, it is going to change the appearance of the thread.
    If you are wrapping over a darkly colored blank, the thread is likely to darken. Some people like this and plan their thread color accordingly.
    To avoid the color change, you have to have some sort of way to preserve the color of the thread.
    This can be done a few ways. You can buy thread that already has a color preservative in it (NCP thread) or you can use whatever thread you like and then apply some sort of color preserver on the threads before you apply the finish coats to the thread. Using a color preserver has its own set of problems to overcome. If you dont get 100% of the thread wrap covered, your finish will penetrate in those little places and will bleed through into the thread and cause dark blotches.

You may be already aware of all of this but I just wanted to maybe help someone starting out to avoid frustration.

Here are a few links to places to get thread:
    http://store.hookhack.com/Rod-Buildi...partments/123/
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-wrapping-thread/
    http://www.mudhole.com/supplies-rod-building/wrapping-thread-rod-building
    http://www.therodroom.com/shop/pc/Ro...hread-c120.htm

There are always the auction websites too.

Hope this helps.

Brian

if you're new at this I would recommend that you practice the entire process from wrapping to final coating on a wooden dowel.

John, I have lots that I just discovered. Let me see what I have in size A and colors for same. Hopefully by this afternoon.
    Mike

John, I have a large number of spools of size A rod wrapping thread that I inherited from a professional rod maker. Send me a list of colors and I will give them to you. PM me your mailing address !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Thank You Fritz. That is great advice.

Hi Brian, That is some great advice. I was wondering about the color preserver. Lots of things to think about.
    Thanks
    John

Default wrapping thread

Thanks to all that have responded. Very appreciated!

Just an added note. When using Flex Coat colour preserver on nylon thread, best saturation results can be had by using 2 coats of 50/50 mix.......CP + distilled water to the thread wraps. Let each coat dry then re-apply.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread