+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice fishing flies?

Default Ice fishing flies?

While I long for open water and a fly rod in my hand, I want to tie up some flies that would be useful for ice fishing. Anyone have and ideas for some effective, simple ties that work when fished vertically?

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand from my ice fishing buddies (just across the border from you), many bead head nymphs work great for panfish through the ice. The Pink Squirrel, originated by John Bethke in your home state, is one that is frequently mentioned as a good panfish fly. I've also heard Prince nymphs mentioned. I'd think a flashy, hard-bodied fly like the Perdigon would also be good and maybe some Mop flies.

For perch I have had good luck with a simple marabou streamer tied on a #10 Aberdeen hook. It has a silver mylar body and fluorescent green wing with a few strands of metallic flashabou. I usually tie it with red thread. My dad always liked a similar hook with just a couple of strands of pearlescent flash tied on top. Both are baited as usual but often catch fish after the minnow is gone. I have experimented with other wing colors but find the fluorescent green is my favorite. A lead eyed version works also but not any better than the plain one with one more split shot.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks for a couple of ideas guys. I've been contemplating trying some jig style hooks with a slotted tungsten bead. Thought that they might hang a little more horizontal for vertical jigging. I also see guys running ice flies off of a technique that I identify with as being a bass technique: Drop Shot with an ice fly or two off of that. Mostly wanted some gifts to give away to other ice fisherman and put a smile on their faces.

For lake trout I used to tie up a fly using dumbbell eyes tied at the eye of the hook, a marabou tail and then estaz wrapped forward to the eyes and around them. Then baited with a large minnow. Some large split shot helped it sink much quicker. It was jigged.

Not ice fishing here in NC but I have been playing around with some bucktail flies tied octopus hooks. Then rigged drop shot style (palmer knot) with two on a line and a heavy 3/4 oz. jigging spoon to get them down. Would probably work for ice fishing also. I have been using them for deep water bass, white perch, and striper/wipers. Tend to get more on the flies than the jig.

I'm really liking this tandem or tripple bait approach. While I have fished tandem, dry and wet flies before this drop shot pattern or style seems to have a very effective way of presenting options for the fish.

I know not on ice fishing, but since it's my thread, I will do a little thread drift. I was just watching a big pike video and they were throwing huge poppers, followed by huge streamers to a very effective result. They can be a little more challenging to rig up the whole thing and casting can be a little more difficult, but the results seem to be worth the effort.

+ Reply to Thread